"Building a welding JIG first" - design process and thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of it, just Awesome. I'll be sitting down the next few days scratching ideas for a trike frame. So id love to see some of your buddies work. That complete twin tube frame made me so happy I think I peed a little. I'll be checking out the links all week and following this closely, with great interest, inspiration and a bit of awe. Thanks.
My buddy worked as a welder on these:

1000026959.jpg

1000026960.jpg

1000026961.jpg

A highly skilled company building frames, gearboxes and more.

M20 in my JIG!

1000026957.jpg

1000026958.jpg

That's very impressive. And all I'm attempting is to make something a bit bigger and with more style then this as a reference frame. Infact I just sat down from gathering up some old conduit and PVC pipes and some scrap flat bars to put together a mock-up of what I want to do before I start chopping up old bike frames. I'm really glad I don't get threatened or overwhelmed when see a masterpiece and thinking " couldn't pull that off.". Lol. I'm confident that with material available and a clear sense of my own limited knowledge and ability that I'll do just fine for a 1st bicycle fabrication or rearrangement. His and your work are inspiring and I've already picked up on a couple things to look out for that had not accured to me. Thanks again.

This is the frame I'm using as a sort of reference. It's a small 1976 24" trike.
IMG_20240513_151736548.jpg

That's very impressive. And all I'm attempting is to make something a bit bigger and with more style then this as a reference frame. Infact I just sat down from gathering up some old conduit and PVC pipes and some scrap flat bars to put together a mock-up of what I want to do before I start chopping up old bike frames. I'm really glad I don't get threatened or overwhelmed when see a masterpiece and thinking " couldn't pull that off.". Lol. I'm confident that with material available and a clear sense of my own limited knowledge and ability that I'll do just fine for a 1st bicycle fabrication or rearrangement. His and your work are inspiring and I've already picked up on a couple things to look out for that had not accured to me. Thanks again.

This is the frame I'm using as a sort of reference. It's a small 1976 24" trike. View attachment 265489
Very cool frame Ed!

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply.

@kingfish254 showed a picture here from a bicycle called 'Stardust'. I instantly thought how did he do that? Tight bends, alignment... skills! :cool:🤙

Regarding your frame:
You could utilize the front part of a larger bike and build the rear. Alignment from the bottom bracket rearward.

Or use a standard frame and just add that big diameter rear tube including the trike dropouts.

So many ways to build :thumbsup:

Very cool frame Ed!

@kingfish254 showed a picture here from a bicycle called 'Stardust'. I instantly thought how did he do that? Tight bends, alignment... skills! :cool:🤙

Regarding your frame:
You could utilize the front part of a larger bike and build the rear. Alignment from the bottom bracket rearward.

Or use a standard frame and just add that big diameter rear tube including the trike dropouts.

As of now I've settled on using that frame.just for reference. After all it is a 48 year old single year design bike and other then the rims and spokes I still have everything for it. And I think it will go smoother and have a cleaner finish built from scratch rather than chopping this up and changing it. I cNt draw to save my life so I made a giant sized brought tinkertoy style mock-up so I could see how it looked not in my mind. I'm making the wheel base about a foot shorter and decided on a step up king and queen motorcycle seat. Over all I'm satisfied with the rough draft.
IMG_20240513_225131143~2.jpg
IMG_20240513_225228857~3.jpg
IMG_20240513_225109456~2.jpg
IMG_20240513_225245745~2.jpg

The picture below shows how I plan on 2 bikes top bars then welded ointo the side of the hetub and the bottom bars will come together at the back of the bottom bracket and the. Single tube straight up the the bottom of the head tube. The outside rear stays I'll keep , bend and possibly lengthen. Still have a couple other ideas for that . Looking at a heavier then stock 40-44 inch wide rear differential and axels.
IMG_20240513_193008149~3.jpg

Very cool frame Ed!

Regarding your frame:

I'm also working out in my head the best way to get some type of rear suspension, my brain is thinking small air bags and possibly adding spindles and u-joints to the axels so I can have some camber for higher speeds when I break down later and add that 3000w electric motor to it. A neighbor already brought over a 10hp horizontal shaft Tecumseh motor last night.

Back