UNLIMITED Falstaff's Revenge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the rams horns just the way you have them. Just spin the grips around 180° and grip them from underneath.

Rock 'et like a Robot! :D
DSC_1997-1000x650.jpg
"He knocked his block off!" (from the TV ad).

I made a bike like this from a 26" frame in 2007, but never could ride it, the front was too heavy to control. I was going to make a go of it again for this build off but saw nothing but problems so I didn't go for it, but I researched a lot about a front wheel drive bike.

The Cruzbike has been around for awhile and people ride those just fine, just takes some practice they say. It's the pushing left or right that tries to turn the bike making it hard to maintain balance.

They say you push outward with your foot at the same time as pushing forward to maintain balance. I never tried that but it makes sense.
1714945730918.jpeg

One suggestion had both crank arms positioned together so no sideways push would happen. I was going to try that as a last resort before I gave up on the whole thing.

"He knocked his block off!" (from the TV ad).

I made a bike like this from a 26" frame in 2007, but never could ride it, the front was too heavy to control. I was going to make a go of it again for this build off but saw nothing but problems so I didn't go for it, but I researched a lot about a front wheel drive bike.

The Cruzbike has been around for awhile and people ride those just fine, just takes some practice they say. It's the pushing left or right that tries to turn the bike making it hard to maintain balance.

They say you push outward with your foot at the same time as pushing forward to maintain balance. I never tried that but it makes sense.
View attachment 264466

One suggestion had both crank arms positioned together so no sideways push would happen. I was going to try that as a last resort before I gave up on the whole thing.
I built a no weld version about 13 years ago. I don't remember the front being quite this heavy. But I do remember, after getting used to riding it that I didn't need the handlebars to steer, just used my legs.
This one feels different all together, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Yeah. The first try ended with a scape on the knee. With the cruiser bars and the pedals were to far away, and leg went straight. Couldn't hold the front end.
I moved the triangle up, and shortened the crank arms, now it's just about perfect. But that front end is heavy, still have to get used to it.
Interesting. Didn’t think about the pedaling force effecting the steering. Wonder if it would help any to roll that triangle back as far as possible? More stability if the cranks are closer to the axle centerline?

Interesting. Didn’t think about the pedaling force effecting the steering. Wonder if it would help any to roll that triangle back as far as possible? More stability if the cranks are closer to the axle centerline?
I had to move it back and shorten the crank arms to be able to pedal without my legs going straight out.

It's amongst the zaniest bicycles I've ever seen. Bravo.

If Fallstaff took the revenge he should have an apostrophe - since you asked :)
Looks weird with the apostrophe, but if it bothers you that much...

Not sure what BDC means about his gramma's pantry being annoying. My gramma's pantry always held the goodies!

I can't wait to see the ride video of this creation! You are rolling right along, my formerly beer named thespian!

Thought I might go all Kingfish on the handlebars, but realized I only have cruiser bars, 2 apes, and one rams horn. So only 2 pictures. View attachment 264436View attachment 264437

I think that covers the basic part of the build. Just have some final welding and create the saddle, then blow it apart for paint.
No idea how I'm going to paint it, just know I intend to.

I like the ramshorns, but I think the other apes are more fitting and more comfortable for this build. I'm really digging the geometry on this.

Yeah. The first try ended with a scape on the knee. With the cruiser bars and the pedals were to far away, and leg went straight. Couldn't hold the front end.
I moved the triangle up, and shortened the crank arms, now it's just about perfect. But that front end is heavy, still have to get used to it.

I imagine that controlling this beast is somewhat unorthodox like a swing bike.

I imagine that controlling this beast is somewhat unorthodox like a swing bike.
It's a bit interesting. The front "fork" Now weighs about 20#, that makes the whole bike from head tube back squirrely.
You have to use your weight to counter balance it, all while pushing back with your back, and pushing forward with your feet.

It's a bit interesting. The front "fork" Now weighs about 20#, that makes the whole bike from head tube back squirrely.
You have to use your weight to counter balance it, all while pushing back with your back, and pushing forward with your feet.

Given that seating Posted just above, i'm betting that the lower legs jutting past the head tube will even you right back out.

I decided the wood seat wasn't going to work as well as I'd hoped. So, I just welded the polo seat to the banana seat and made a J seat.
20240512_183312.jpg
20240512_183321.jpg

Then I decided on a paint color, which also requires colored tires. So, I'll be buying something for this build. I was silently hoping I could pull off a no money build, but I don't think the bay accepts barter...

I decided the wood seat wasn't going to work as well as I'd hoped. So, I just welded the polo seat to the banana seat and made a J seat.
View attachment 265329View attachment 265330

Then I decided on a paint color, which also requires colored tires. So, I'll be buying something for this build. I was silently hoping I could pull off a no money build, but I don't think the bay accepts barter...
Wow, that looks promising, I like where you are taking the heap of steel.

The old bottom bracket (from the green frame) seem like a perfect place for a shifter :cool:

I'm digging the seat. Smoopy did a cool on years ago.

1715626090947.png

Back