Rat 'n Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad you are being all RUST correct on this bike. Old bikes with shiny bars look funny. The fellows at the schwinn board would be proud :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah I agree about the shiny and rusty clashing. The chain was pretty stiff from rust and varnished grease, so I decided to remove that, but it will like get bit of surface rust back eventually. I was even going to put a newer but still rusty set of S2s on but they looked too clean, so I brushed the loose paint off of these and cleaned the red paint off. Just need to get the grime off the hubs and frame and it's time to build it back up. Although I will need to replace the guts of the ND read with another, it behaves more like a fixed gear than a coaster brake.

Pretty much done disassembling and cleaning, still need to tighten a few spokes on the wheels if I can. That was 60 years odf caked oil, rust and dirt, nasty. Some of the rear spokes were about 1/4 across in the stuff.

Cleaned wheels

IMG_0651.jpg

Rehabbed groupo

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Cleaned up the frame, just a couple of small cleaning details and hopefuly re-assemble this weekend. Got the next project frame in back. Just down to black brick pattern tires from my repop schwinn or reds.

IMG_0654.jpg

dude, that ain't the worst of it, there are 2 more schwinn cantilevers in the box in back of the wheels, a minty prewar and a worked 50s

Pretty much done, tried to keep this one rat all the way. Total into the build $4.29 for rim strips. Everything else was in the garage. Tires and pedals off my 98 repop originals were ripped thru the cords, bars and crank off a 48 schwinn. Tried to use the orignal bottom bracket but there was some weird sizing issues. Cherry picked some bearing cups and races that eventually allowed a mix of parts to work. TRashed one bearing cage and the old non-drive side of the original in the process.

Start
rf.jpg

Finish
IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Thanks guys, took it for a couple of mile shakedown cruise by the beach yesterday, nice and smooth, although the brakes are starting to work better they're still a bit hard to engage compared to my modern hubs.

Back