(MBBO #5 Class II) Four-gone Conclusion...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you are familiar with my 'Faded Glory' build I did this Spring in the Other Builds forum. It was a tribute to my dad, and all those who have served in the military for the U.S.

My dad was a very handy, and professional craftsman who built a couple of our houses, and could fix most anything. I was lucky to be by his side as his apprentice and learn from this man who was half mathematician (taught it for 35 yrs) and half artist.

Needing to come up with a new option for my shift lever (see previous post) , I browsed the net for ideas. The idea, and a souvenir from my dad's last days on earth, produced this latest version of my 4-speed shifter; my joystick style, aluminum cane and grip compilation. Not as shiny or fancy as my previous model, but it is lightweight and durable and shifts perfectly!

20160917_105032.jpg

20160917_104930.jpg

20160917_104903.jpg

As I look at the pics now, I might try to 'chrome up' the aluminum portion that is closest to the frame, at the base of the shifter. What are you guys' thoughts on keeping it all black, or adding a splash of chrome?

....annnnnd we are almost to the finish-ed line!

Took a short ride down the hill to my neighbor's. Guy has had this rat rod hot rod parked in his driveway and tooling around the hood for years. Never had the occasion to meet him....until today. I thought, 'what better reason than to want pics with my red rat rod next to his?' :113:

Turns out Shawn has had this completed now for about 5 yrs. Took him 3 yrs to build it, at night, in his garage. Custom all the way around. One-off chassis and frame, suicide doors, remote box lid lift, suspension, Chevy Suburban 350 motor, aluminum roof frame and upholstery, back seat of a Camaro for the interior, 8 gal keg in the rear box for gas....the list goes on. A few pics with Four-gone next to XXL 23T....Shawn is a BIG dude. :nod:

20160917_134713.jpg
20160917_134653.jpg
20160917_134502.jpg
20160917_134404.jpg
20160917_134144.jpg

And a couple of shots at 'picture rock' outside the back deck of The BACK40...

20160917_140953.jpg
20160917_140934.jpg
20160917_140921.jpg
20160917_140847.jpg

Next up...ride video! This thing rides great. And with the 4 spd gear ratio, I made it up the hill back home without even standing and hammering! :thumbsup:

Hope you guys are having as much fun as I am! RRB....Psi Valva Kappa baby!

The Four-gone is concluded! Got it out for the final test ride video at my neighborhood park. Love the 4 spd...flies downhill and motors uphill! Handles well, rides smooth.

I always find it fun figuring out where to place the camera in the drive by. Its easier when I have friends, but a lot of times I am out playing alone.

Timer shots to strike a pose are fun as well. Click.. run.. grab bike..
look tough...

The bike is Looking awesome! Love all the things you have done to it! [emoji106]

[emoji529] [emoji102]

Looking good OJ....I think it might look cool without the fender though...:39:
Could go either way. Thought it added a little more traditional muscle bike touch....but I like it bare bones too.

I always find it fun figuring out where to place the camera in the drive by. Its easier when I have friends, but a lot of times I am out playing alone.

Timer shots to strike a pose are fun as well. Click.. run.. grab bike..
look tough...

The bike is Looking awesome! Love all the things you have done to it! [emoji106]

[emoji529] [emoji102]
Thanks man! It was fun to do a 'shiny' build. And this 4 spd hub is really fun. Definitely tempted to do another internal hub bike in the future.

Sometimes it's the little things that matter. I was getting a fair amount of squeaking from the bar / stem combo. And the bar was never really tight, especially when I stood up and cranked on the bike.

Upon examination, the bottom of the stem clamp was 'bottoming out' before I could get the bolt to tighten completely.

Enter dremel tool. Ground away part of the underside so now it tightens up flush, and holds under extreme yanking on the bars.

And....the squeak is gone.

20161001_130117.jpg

20161001_130132.jpg

And, this might just be my final photo...

FB_IMG_1475346027224.jpg

Latest posts

Back