(MBBO#05 Class 1) 69' Fastback 100 - That's a Canadian Chopper eh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this Fastback 100 for $220 last weekend. You're probably looking at the picture and thinking it's good to go as is. The bike always looks good in the for sale picture. I was really excited to pick it up, because I was hoping it was going to be in way better condition that it actually is. I was only mildly disappointed that it wasn't mint when I picked it up. When I got home and looked it over and I was happy again.

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4893.JPG

It has rust, but it's not that bad. I've already cleaned a bunch of parts. The brakes, crank, and sprocket came out nice. The sissy bar was is rough shape with large spots of chrome missing, and not to mention it was rusted in place. I tried all of the suggested tricks I could find online and finally settled with cutting the bar in half at the top so that I could twist out two separate pieces.

IMG_4921.JPG

The seat looks good from far, but it's far from good in my opinion. I'm hoping to learn to sew my own covers soon, but the nice thing about this bike is that it's essentially the same bike as the Raleigh Chopper MK1 and covers are available. Lots of other parts out there too, but they ain't cheap and neither is the shipping. My paypal balance already took a hit and I have some parts on the way.

I'm really happy that the shifter and cover are in great shape. The plastic cover only needs new stickers which I have already ordered. The kickstand was missing when I got it too, so I found one on ebay and it's also on it's way. The only other issues that I seem to have are mismatched brake levers, which isn't a big deal, pedals are shot, and the chrome on the rims is a little worse off than my brain can deal with. Fenders cleaned up okay. They shine but there is pitting. Repros are expensive.

I plan to paint this thing some shade of blue. I have a whack of 70's muscle bikes and so many of them have original orange paint. I'm sick of looking at orange.
IMG_4908.JPG
IMG_4909.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG

Spoke protector is pretty good. Hub seems okay? Not sure yet..... rims are a bit pitted under the rust.

IMG_4919.JPG

This showed up in the mail today and I think it might work it's way into this project.

IMG_4920.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4910.JPG
    IMG_4910.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4914.JPG
    IMG_4914.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 419
Got a chance to have a closer look at the seat today. It wasn't in terrible condition, but it the vinyl was tearing near the edge of the seat pan, and there was a small tear in the side. The foam back is pretty good and I will re-use it, but the seat foam will need to be replaced. I pulled the stitching apart from the seat cover and will use the pieces for templates for a new seat cover.

IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4933.JPG IMG_4938.JPG IMG_4937.JPG

The seat pan has some kinks in it, particularly around the seat post. I'm guessing someone took a few hard landings off of a jump or something. The back of the pan got a little bent out of shape from when I foolishly tried to pry out the sissy bar with a 2 x 4. Doh!!

IMG_4939.JPG IMG_4936.JPG IMG_4935.JPG IMG_4934.JPG

I read through my manual for my sewing machine and actually set it up no problem and did some test stitches on some vinyl I picked up a while back at Value Village. I got a massive piece of green for $4.99.

IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG IMG_4948.JPG
IMG_4949.JPG

I've been trying to source out some better rims for this project. It's really hard to find a 20 + 16 set. I have a set from a thumb shifter 70's Marauder that I might use if I don't come up with something else. That Marauder might become a coaster model someday anyway....

IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4926.JPG IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4929.JPG IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4943.JPG
    IMG_4943.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 396
While you wait for updates on my fastback, here's a pic of the GTR Sidewinder I completed this summer. Since I'm new to Ratrodbikes, this will give you and idea of the work I do. I'm glad I got it done, but wish I could have entered into the MBBO.

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG IMG_4969.JPG IMG_4970.JPG

Extra points for the sewing machine! Looking forward to the seat cover.

The Sidewinder looks nice. If you have before pics, you should post them along with the finished pics in the 'before and after' thread.

24" wheel model? Like it. Another new muscle bike for me to add to the list.

That is very cool!
While you wait for updates on my fastback, here's a pic of the GTR Sidewinder I completed this summer. Since I'm new to Ratrodbikes, this will give you and idea of the work I do. I'm glad I got it done, but wish I could have entered into the MBBO.

View attachment 35097
View attachment 35096 View attachment 35098 View attachment 35099
Got any close ups of the seat? I have seen that vinyl on a few things and always wondered how it would go on a banana...

Luke.

That is very cool!

Got any close ups of the seat? I have seen that vinyl on a few things and always wondered how it would go on a banana...

Luke.
IMG_5014.JPG

I found this vinyl while searching for black and white checkered vinyl, which is really hard to find for some reason. I'm glad I found it because I think it gives this bike a really unique feel. So many banana seats are straight colour with no texture.

View attachment 35136

I found this vinyl while searching for black and white checkered vinyl, which is really hard to find for some reason. I'm glad I found it because I think it gives this bike a really unique feel. So many banana seats are straight colour with no texture.
I'm with you on the textured 'naner cover....

customseatcover4gone.jpg

My cover for Four-gone Conclusion....and soft feel too...

nice work on the GTR. Where did you get your decals ? Been trying to find a headbadge sticker for my CCM Mustang ( the rectangular one ).

Latest posts

Back