(MBBO#05 Class 1) Radioactive Heap '65 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like my Murray, this Stingray will be just a refurbish job but this one will get a couple of really cool (at least I think so) non-stock parts. The frame is a '65 and will be fitted with a high-back Troxel sissy bar with a leopard print Solo Polo. I've also got a NOS 'Cheater Slick' and a set of NOS Hunt-Wilde blue glitter grips that will be stuck on a set of bars from a '69 Fair Lady I bought for parts. I've been told that it can't be done with this early frame but I've got an idea on how to use a Schwinn Mag Sprocket since IMO it looks about a million times cooler than the Lucky 7.

I'm not planning on winning anything, I'm just here to play along and hopefully end up with something cool. Here's a few photos of the victim. I'll post plenty of updates (and most likely, more than a few questions) as soon as my new work stand arrives and I dig into this thing.

Secret%201_zpsyxzmybl1.jpg

Secret%202_zpsik3qapgp.jpg

Secret%203_zpswmphfgwm.jpg

And the part this project was named after...............

s-l1000_zpsqtqqbalm.jpg

You can see my other entry into the MBBO here.....................Rat-ed X-65 Murray Wildcat.

RaT oN! Your frame paint is in way better shape than my '69. Waiting to see the mag on there! Dig it...:cool2:

Looks like the makings for a sweet Stingray. Not sure how big the Stingray single speed mag is but I was able to get a 39t Varsity/Scrambler mag to fit under that short frame wing tip guard.

I got a couple of Red Band coaster hubs and also a Hecho in Meh-he-coe one torn down this morning and the guts in the de-greaser. After the MBBO began I scored a Huffy Cheater Slick so I decided the tire I was planning to use on this project will go on that one instead. This afternoon I bought a supercool™ tire for the Stingray but I wont completely let the cat out of the bag until it's finished and photo time. ;) Tomorrow I'm going to start the cleaning process and get the crank and forks reinstalled. I was also able to pull the bars of my '69 Fair Lady parts bike but the gooseneck is frozen solid. I'll give it another shot tomorrow but I may be on the hunt for another. A snag in my Murray project has also forced another change to the Stingray. I had a nice Schwinn front wheel for this but when finishing up the Wildcat I found a crack in the hub. I decided to use the Stingray front wheel on the Wildcat instead of repairing the cheap-o Murray hub. Since I now needed a front wheel I decided to go with a Fastback version to give the illusion of an even fatter rear tire. The Schwinn should be done sometime in the next week or so.

I was finally able to get the gooseneck out of the Fair Lady donor bike and it's now completely stripped of any parts I'm planning on using/keeping. I'm planning on giving the frame to a friend of mine. It has a decal from a defunct local bike shop that he bought a Cotton Picker from when he was a kid. Fortunately the Fair Lady is the same color as the Heap, I'll be using it's chain guard to clear the larger Mag sprocket I'm planning on using. I spent a little time figuring out how to go about doing it and I'm about 99% sure it's going to work. I also cleaned and polished the chain guard to get rid of the Fair Lady designation and put a new Stingray water-transfer decal on. I was really surprised how nicely the paint came back on the guard considering it's been sitting outside for 30+ years. I should have the crank all re-configured and ready to go this weekend. My NOS Goodyear Blue Streak slick has also arrived....................stay tuned to this channel for further updates.

The rear wheel and gooseneck soaking in the oxalic acid bath, hopefully they will be ready tomorrow so I can put the hub and forks back together. When I'm finished with the MBBO bikes I need to take a day and get my spare bedroom cleaned up, it looks like someone threw a hand grenade in the middle of a bike shop in there at the moment.

The rear wheel and gooseneck soaking in the oxalic acid bath, hopefully they will be ready tomorrow so I can put the hub and forks back together. When I'm finished with the MBBO bikes I need to take a day and get my spare bedroom cleaned up, it looks like someone threw a hand grenade in the middle of a bike shop in there at the moment.
Look forward to getting a peek! With the OA bath have you by chance seen how it reacts with aluminum? Sorry to derail sounds like you have been getting your fair share of use out of the stuff.
Thanks

I've never used it on aluminum. I discovered the stuff about 7 or 8 years ago on another message board for use as a cooling system flush.
Awsome that would suggest it's cool on copper and aluminum, I'll have to give it a try, have 2 large alum tanks one I use for degreasing I'd be cool if could leave an OS tanks set up.
Thanks alot.

The rear wheel is out of the soup and I spent some (ok, a lot of) time this afternoon polishing it up (I've got the claw-hand to prove it). It's certainly not perfect but the rest of the Heap wont be either. I also decided to mount the NOS Goodyear Blue Streak to see how it will look. I still have to clean that nasty white stuff off the tire and re-assemble the hub but the majority of the work on the rear wheel is done. I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished this weekend.

Blue_Streak.jpg

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I almost felt bad about removing the factory wrapping but I did manage to save the Goodyear label. I can't wait to get this thing together.
Best use possible... Be shame it turned into useless crusty cracked rubber in a package.. I think ur getting the best value possible out of a nos part...
Now can we see the whole shabang yet dude??

Latest posts

Back