(MBBO#05 Class 2) GET SMART!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowering the stem would look ok... Expected and take away from the spindly leaness vibe that's going on. The tubes parallel lines are accentuated with it up and no need to go to a set of ridiculous tall apes to get the bars comfy. I like it as is.

Carl.

I like the stretched look with the new fork. And it corrects a small detail: the sissy bar ist now almost rectangular to the Floor. Mutch better!

Gesendet von meinem SUNSET2 mit Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the input!

I grabbed the first normal height stem that would fit and tried it. Of course I would need to find either a chrome or maybe an alloy stem. I like it, but I also still like the tall one. One thing about it, I don't have to make any final decision right away. Two bolts and it can be changed at any time. Nothing has to be welded or painted.:whew:

Here's a comparison:
101_2138.jpg

index.php

Don't get me wrong, I still like the long stem, the height it's set at when in short forks looks like it can't fit the headtube if retracted... The new forks scale fixed that cause you lowered it. But to be fair, I do like the new look.

The long stem is a very nice nod to the early pig bikes, not many 'normal' people will know that when you are out riding, but those that do will appreciate that you know your muscle bike history. :thumbsup:

Luke.

The long stem is a very nice nod to the early pig bikes, not many 'normal' people will know that when you are out riding, but those that do will appreciate that you know your muscle bike history. :thumbsup:

Luke.
Ummm, I actually had no idea about the history of long stems and pig bikes.:chicken:

... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Ummm, I actually had no idea about the history of long stems and pig bikes.:chicken:

... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
From the mind of John Brain to yours:

Brain history 58.jpg
brain history 59.jpg

:thumbsup:

Luke.

As they say, one thing leads to another. I tried a standard kickstand and discovered that the lower 'drag link' is right in the way. I found a rear axel mount stand on a junk bike and tried it. It didn't work either.
So the only option left was to spend more hours modifying another one-off part. My initial plan for a simple and quick build keeps dragging me in for more and more fabrication. :doh:

I failed to take a before photo before jumping in but here's one from the web.
stand.jpg

The hole for the axel needed to be gone and the flat plate had to be hammered into a suitable contour to fit the wheelie bar tubing.
101_2127.JPG

101_2129.jpg

After cutting a couple of inches from the length and welding the foot back in place, the welds got filed and sanded into shape along with some smoothing on the mounting plate. Finally after several days of fiddling with it, it's bolted in place and works great.
101_2141.jpg

101_2144.jpg

All of that just for a kickstand!:blackeye::whew:

Ren Man, you have set me up for the perfect opportunity for one of my bike industry stories.

The owner of one of the largest bicycle shops in Chicago drove a foreign luxury car; I mean, a top of the line luxury car. I believe it was a Rolls Royce, as the story goes.

He was asked once about the vanity plates he had on the car, "KCKSTND".

His response was, "It proves my point about my staff always adding on to the bike sales with accessories. I bought that car with the money we made on kickstand sales alone."

aint that only the result of a lack of taller apes back then?

I personally like the shorter stem ,
love the new longer fork TRM and great job on the wheelie wheels , the mount looks nice and sturdy:113:

aint that only the result of a lack of taller apes back then?

I personally like the shorter stem ,
love the new longer fork TRM and great job on the wheelie wheels , the mount looks nice and sturdy:113:
Well, it depends on how you look at it. There was no such thing as taller apes, not just the lack of them, but there were longer stems for the same reason this frame had one, I think... So that a larger person could comfortably ride a smaller frame. Looking backwards and having all the parts we have available now, the low stem fits fine and is probably more of a recognized style, but RM either has to swap bars or live with them sitting lower too.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Lowering the stem would look ok... Expected and take away from the spindly leaness vibe that's going on. The tubes parallel lines are accentuated with it up and no need to go to a set of ridiculous tall apes to get the bars comfy. I like it as is.

Carl.

Just a little shorter to balance out the extra fork height but keep all that for sure. I was thinking just cut a bit off the long one....He's prolly planning on trimming it and leading us on a wild goose chase anyways..:bigboss:...but yeah somewhere in between...:39:

Love that kickstand!!

....He's prolly planning on trimming it and leading us on a wild goose chase anyways.
You're reading too much into my motivation! :bigsmile:
I actually tracked down the long stem for the same reason that the guys Luke educated us on did. I was just looking for a way to get the bars higher. It's such a short little frame that it just seemed logical. I don't really like the extreme apes. I'm hoping that I can find some bars that are a few inches taller at the upcoming AVBS swap meet (Also hoping to find a 24" ducktail fender). If not, I may be able to get the stem a little deeper in the fork. No plans for cutting it!

Today was clean up day.

The frame had some unnecessary cable guides, the new fork's brake bosses had to go and there were more than a dozen holes in the wheelie bars and sissy bar that had to be welded shut. All of that was followed by filing and sanding.
I may sand and prime everything while it's apart, but I still need to wait about painting until I make a decision on the fenders and one other part.
101_2149.jpg

Latest posts

Back