☆BOBBED ROSS☆ '65 Ross DeLuxe. ~fin~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be joining in the fun this winter with a twin top bar Ross canti frame I bought from @kirk in December. I'm nicknaming it Bob, because A: it's a Ross, Bob Ross. B: It's wearing at least two brushed on coats of house paint, no happy little trees, just blue and red.
As it looked when I purchased it:
40044_1f29775ce8fa692bb0bed740e954f878.jpg
I'm pretty certain this is going to be a relatively vanilla build, I just moved into a new house, in a new town and happen to be 5 blocks from river access, so I'll be needing something to take fishing or just general neighborhood cruising.
So I'll be doing a distressed repaint, adding a rack, maybe even a basket.
Today was relatively warm, not that west Texas is known for being super cold, so I thought I'd throw some oven cleaner on the tins.
20161227_110617.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised to find some chrome and decent original graphics on the chainguard.
20170101_191224.jpg
Not so much with the fenders, so they got wire brushed and most likely will get clear coated.
I threw some parts on and did a little mock up with the original bars, seat and wheels, and an era correct albeit Columbia rack.
20161227_181401.jpg
And that's how it sits at the end of the first day.

Watching this one Mr Link. Hope the west Texas hood is good to you.

That chain guard really came back well. How is the paint on the frame?

Your forks look straight too. Maybe the bike wasn't taken off many ramps.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to salvage the paint, this thing has seen at least two repaints. In some of the places where the paint has chipped it seems to have been at least partially sanded down, so likely strip and repaint. I'm veering towards black as I currently have no black bikes, but nothing's written in stone.

I had a little free time earlier and decided to tackle some of the less fun aspects of bike work, so I pulled the crank.
20170104_150619.jpg
20170104_150603.jpg
Whoever last greased this thing used enough grease for 3 or 4 bikes. I'm not complaining, the bearings appear perfect, just covered in grease. I've got a four quart sterilite container that will fit the whole crank assembly, so I'll give it all a good soaking with some dish soap over the next couple days and that should take care of that.

Had a bit more time and decided I'd looked at this thing assembled long enough, so I stripped it down to the bones.
20170104_165547.jpg
Here's a glimpse of the original factory paint.
20170104_163440.jpg
I think tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll get started on stripping the frame and fork.

Attachments

• 20170104_163440.jpg
    20170104_163440.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 230
Gee, that 4 quart sterilite container must be dang near a full gallon, huh? :wink1:

Just pulling your chain, Link.
Making good progress on this!

I was trying to guess the age of that frame, it has the later chain wheel (60's) but the earlier (50's) dropouts. The chain guard looks 50's also. I remember some of the 60's Ross frames I had that had a serial number that began with an R and gave the year in the first one or two digits. Any chance there's a number on that frame?

I was trying to guess the age of that frame, it has the later chain wheel (60's) but the earlier (50's) dropouts. The chain guard looks 50's also. I remember some of the 60's Ross frames I had that had a serial number that began with an R and gave the year in the first one or two digits. Any chance there's a number on that frame?
R65062 3
I assumed the later number was the year, but if you're correct, it's a 65, which seems later than the chainguard and drop outs would suggest. Maybe it's been pieced together over the years, I had a Schwinn Jaguar once that the original owner had upgraded parts on every year or so, it was an interesting enigma.
Funny, I was digging through my parts today, did some measuring, and it looks like you and I may be using the same chainring.
20170104_213530.jpg

Attachments

• 20170104_213530.jpg
    20170104_213530.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 183
Yep, that's the same chain ring as I have in my stash.

The chain guard and chain ring are probably original, as seen in this Coast king badged Ross. The year wasn't known.

This girl's bike was shown as a 65 model, so I think it's safe to say yours is a 65.
images

Is that the Pepperbox Special in your avatar?

Latest posts

Back