Black Widow, the Newb's Bonker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Black_widow_Spider._Monsters_Project.jpg

OK I am throwing my hat into the ring. Been working on this one for awhile and will use the deadline as an incentive to push a little more. Going to be a mixed up hot rod styled cruiser with a little bit of BMX, a bobber style ride with a bit of klunker, or Bonker if you will.

Getting in a bit over my head but going full out! I hope this will include my first self-built wheelset and even use Cam's jockey shift idea on a Nexus 3spd roller. Not a fab job or blown custom, just my personal bike made cool. Don't worry, I have a big bag, I just need to see how many tricks are in it.

This will be my first build here and hopefully I can cross the deadline, weather permitting. Whether you love it or hate it, I'm gonna ride it! :rockout:

The build is:

-04/99 Dyno duece 26" rear
-Nexus 3spd roller ala kingfish
-Omeon drum front ala Smoopy and possibly V brake rear for quick stops
- keeping the fenders like a bobber
- low rise klunker style bars
- Odyssey/Porkchop and my tools......

Wrap it up in a Black Widow themed paint scheme unprofessionally done by yours truly and whattya get?.....Hopefully enough time by April 1st! I don't want to be the fool lol!

LoveBikes-e1440172779393.jpg

You have raised a question for me with your prognostication of 'finishing the build by April 1st'.
"Is an unfinished build, ever really finished?"
And, a second one, which may be even more pertinent...
"Can you have a deadline for an unfinished build?"
o_O :grin:

Pop.cycle up some pics so we can see what ya got....and, welcome to your first build off~!:thumbsup:

You have raised a question for me with your prognostication of 'finishing the build by April 1st'.

Pop.cycle up some pics so we can see what ya got....and, welcome to your first build off~!:thumbsup:
You are absolutely correct! I have going back and forth on this tho, as I am a driver and only home a limited time during the week so it's building myself up! Lol you are right tho, it never ends!

Pics coming! Got to find the device...

Wasn't taken for broadcast at the time but this was what I started with when I got it in Aug. last year. It came as a pile of parts, many little nuts and parts missing, no cranks, chainring or chainguard......speckled with rust and more dings in the paint than a station wagon parked in a compact space. Pardon the mess....
20160822_132148.jpg

Scrapped a set of cranks and sprocket from what I believe was a 1973-ish Huffy cruiser. Pretty much the front lower drivetrain, including pedals, with a 1pc BB kit to recycle what parts I had. Rebuilt the original coaster hub but that's gonna go.....

20160905_224158.jpg

Last edited:
Took alot of prep, and to those who don't know......the $1 store magic erasers are amazing at taking surface rust off with a dash of WD-40. Almost like synthetic extra fine steel wool! Had it on the forks and handlebars. The seat was gone and so no issues with the springs but nothing a bit of elbow grease couldn't get out.
20160903_160101.jpg

Nice tip on the erasers and WD-40. Had not heard that one. Of course, most of the time I'm adding grime and rust, not taking it away! :bigsmile:

Well, my friend , I've only been involved in two 'build offs' but I must answer with a resounding ...YES.
When the last day is finally here...and the clock is ticking down...then the build is done.....

......for the time being. :grin:

franco

This weirded me out......so in 1997-1998 when I built my last cruiser, (prior to Norcal move) a friend gave me a chainguard for my then....1973 Huffy build.
Thinking nothing of it i had kept that chainguard for nearly 20yrs, one of only a few parts, and only chainguard, that I kept during the move.

When I came across this Dyno pile I never realized the chainguard I had ALL those years......would be so necessary! #meanttobe
20160923_202028.jpg

Add some details.....

Came up ala Ebay an Odyssey OG Black Widow sprocket and elsewhere a set of VP747 bear trap pedals! Mixin' in some old school!

20161030_163647.jpg

And thru a friend's moto stuff was able to dig up a set of MX low rise bars. Originally intended for a HBBC bike I had. The width and low profile made the Dyno a sweet almost BMX feel......fell in love with em....

20161204_144826.jpg

Last edited:
Bear traps....one of the best grippy pedals ever devised. They adorn the Mesa Buggie as well!

Oh yeah!. A staple!

AND as far as prognostication, always speak life. To much toll to do otherwise.

My deadline is to valiantly strive to push myself. As a truck driver this weather can really play a role more than skills.

....but yes, until a bike is torn down or sold, it's never done!
20170101_095719.jpg

20161009_210016.jpg

Cue some theme stuff... a little masking and cutting.....and bit of spray and viola!.....
20161010_094647.jpg

Although this was a test on the front fender only, a little white dusting the edges and a misplaced hourglass or spider is in store. The basic shape was a hourglass with pointed ends to give a mean demeanor.....
20161010_122120.jpg

I think the preliminary came out good! :rockout:

Latest posts

Back