WBO Double Bar Digger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
So, when I got up this morning, it was the first time I had to want to go riding since the 31st. So busy with work related things it was difficult to do much else.

You may remember my double bar denim Bike. From last summers build.

Well, after I got that fat bike rolling, I haven't had the ol double bar out since. That fat muscle bike is a fast ride, and perfect all around town bike. With 1x10 speeds it's my go to Bike in town now. The double bar had that spot for about 3 months...

New years eave day, we went for a ride in red rock. I took Bomber 40, as it's my all round favorite ride. In the course of that ride, I ended up destroying the haro bottom bracket and lost all the BB bearings about 3/4 up the hill. Will be cutting the retaining nut and race off, to get it out

Upon examination of the damage, I noticed a cracked on the BB where the seat tube joins it.

And a cracked on the seat tube where a seat stay joins it.

So, as such, my favorite frame, the 40 snyder frame, gets benched until i can strip it and retrace those joints and make them solid again...

Leaving a spot for the double bar to start to become my trail bike. Started the swap over today

I gotta put the other tires on it, those 2.5s are a touch to wide for the stays.

Nice to see you in the mix MC! Couple nice bikes there to swap parts with. Is the top tube length longer on the double bar, or is it that twin curve an optical illusion?

Nice to see you in the mix MC! Couple nice bikes there to swap parts with. Is the top tube length longer on the double bar, or is it that twin curve an optical illusion?
Both tubes on the DBD are the same length at 21.5". I think the optical illusion is the rake on frame, making the lower one look shorter.

Love those Small Block 8's, they ride nice!
So far I haven't found a down side to them. They ride very well.

Havent been in greasy like mud with them yet...

So today I took the bike out to stress test it. Before I left I swapped the mesh panels to putt the copper out instead of the dark.

Had some chain issues, I gotta put that Kool Chain on this frame, too much slop. I Peter griffin'd my knee twice really hard...

So, I tried swapping sprocket to rear after the first sit down... Happened less, but. Owwwww!

Got some well needed exercise. It's a lot further to the mountain than people think. I just pick a cactus or yucca off in the distance, and ride to it. Pic the next, and so on. Trails don't survive in the rock, so it's new every time...

I do like the new color mesh tank

The list.
Got some things needing paint.
Need rear axle tensioners
Change chain.
Might change fork.
Might change neck
Might change bars.

Sweet...love the wheel/tire combo on this bike. Some great shots out in the desert!
Thanks Chad! These 2.35 small block 8s fit those 3g wheels very well.

Except for the knee, I like the way this frame rides better. That light prowheel/3g drivetrain really Peps up the old heavy.

The seat rake, loving that I don't need to get a bent post.

Looks awesome! Rocks and rolls baby!:rockout:
Thanks OJ. Rolls the rocks well!!
Love the rust color tank insert!
Thanks Luke, they look better with the iron colored fork better than I thought they would.

I think I want to make another pair of colors. Might take the red and put blue stripes in it.

This is all excellent, and a nice story/process to go with the pics!

Thanks @382Camino! I try...

This morning before work, I dug out the #14-24 tap. Those threads come in a couple sizes. Luckily I had the oddball tap that I needed to fit it. This frame hasn't had those installed for a very long time, if ever. It turns 80 this year.

Next up, need to find a chain tool that fits my Kool Chain. The one I made got lost on the trail.

Little Cactus shot from sunday

Looks good, glad to see it actually being used for its intended purpose as built!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Thanks Squirrel. I build my bikes to be ridden hard, and to stand up to my destructiveness.

If they fail, I continue to fix/work them until they dont.

As such. I had to customize my park ct5 tool to fit that KMC Kool chain. Had to find the lower teeth about 0.020"

The chain is thicker on the face, and tends to hold up to my abuse better than the cheep chains.

Amazingly, the chain was an exact fit without having to add or remove a link.

Almost Forgot about the root beer in the chainring.

Edit fixed a few phat-fingered mistakes ..

Last edited:
MC, that's 'not your father's rootbeer'....haha :21:!
Kool Chain is, well, cool!

Love the shots of the bike out on a days journey. Nice change over of parts.

Love the shots of the bike out on a days journey. Nice change over of parts.
Thank You Funkme.

I always have a few extra one's .

This one, I ended up liking best.

If I zoom in, downtown las vegas is right above the seat, but zoomed out you almost miss it.

The other cave shot had downtown in It too.

Latest posts

Back