United Build, Done - not quite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna run these funky green wheels that came with the bike as temporary rollers, until I can line up some double wall rims and new hubs $$$.
The rear was really beat up, broken and bent spokes, lots of rim dings etc, I settled for "roundish" on the truing stand because there really wasn't a good surface to measure from. Front is good and trued up fine. If anyone likes green rims, hit me up, I'll sell the front eventually.

I wanna ride these rims and see if the rear hub is any good, see if I like 25/9 gearing or wanna change to 27/9. I'll service the hubs tomorrow, never had a bmx cassette hub apart, plenty of youtube videos on it.

I'll assemble it with the stuff I have to get a feel and change it up from there.
20170114_214527.jpg

Still waiting on bottom bracket bearings, then the assembly is on.

Bought these bars, 8" rise. haven't arrived yet. Gonna try them out, may be looking for some 9" rise.
s1200_20161220_232829.jpg

Last edited:
Bearings showed up, they're 42x20x12, not 41mm. Found another company that sells a 41x20x12, but the bearings are more than a new 19mm spindle.
Ordered a 19mm spindle from danscomp, get back to standard sizing.

Looks good!
Will you be running a pivotal style seat post? That is the main problem I have with some of these newer frames, no post clamp area, almost need to make a quill style if you want to run a taller seatpost...

Looks good!
Will you be running a pivotal style seat post? That is the main problem I have with some of these newer frames, no post clamp area, almost need to make a quill style if you want to run a taller seatpost...
Looking at 320 or 350mm pivotal post. The clamp I have for this frame is skinny, from United. I have an older Odyssey pivotal seat that looks pretty good, and another that came with the bike that's kind of goofy.

20170215_222923.jpg
20170215_222946.jpg

Proper magnalite hub on Kinlin BM25 polished double wall. Eastern uses kinlin on completes. I got the rims from "Mr Rabbit" wheels by fleming.
184mm drive side, 186mm non drive, 3X laced.

Tore down the hub, cleaned and added some regular grease to the driver so it doesn't sound like a machine gun, I dont need that much attention.:21:

Didn't think I'd be dishing wheels for a BMX, but that's what was spec'd with the hub.

Ordered the front sealed hub and spokes today, I may disassemble and paint the black front hub to match, the grey metallic I used on the Dyno frame is pretty close for color but has more metallic.

Front wheel. Picked up this new United sealed hub, tore it down and prepped, I want to paint it a medium silver semi gloss to match the proper hub. I have some light silver metallic gloss, dark grey metallic base, and clear. Gonna see how close I can get eyeballing the color.
302194622377-0_1024x1024.jpg

20170218_081625.jpg

20170218_115124.jpg

Color and gloss level are pretty close. The painted hub has a ton of metallic in it. I'm happy with it. I just can't get into the new school blacked out, flat black deal.

Popped the hub in the oven to cure the paint and the bearings in the freezer, assembled while the hub was still hot. Put a United decal on, not the correct one, should really be a small white script. Oh well. Painted the jam nuts, threads etc with semi gloss black engine enameland cured in the oven too. Baked engine paint is tough stuff.

188mm spokes, Spoke prep ( drying wood oil) applied.

It occurred to me this will be the first wheel I'm going to build with 100% new components. Should be nice.

Last edited:
Chrome KMC Z chain, solid no master link. Mission resin clear pedals. No brakes yet. Red pivotal post is temporary - 300 mm black post is in the mail.

Test ride felt pretty good, need an unbent sprocket, Brakes, probably 9 inch bars.

I've got 3 bikes that all need brakes, I'm seeing a common theme here.

20170219_103624.jpg

In the middle of a bathroom remodel, kinda stalled out. I got a 300mm seatpost, and a new 25t chainring to install.

Can't decide if I'm going to buy all new brakes or pull them off a donor.

Been working on a few other bikes, in between.

20170319_184704.jpg
Parts, parts. Ordered Odyssey Sprinfield 990's. Had to order a tap to mount the brakes.

Now I'm waiting on a brake knarp.
I could use a normal 990 straddle cable (black), but I wanna use this wide tekro hanger I have, the cable feeds thru, so I need a knarp. I'll strip the purple anodizing off.

Getting there, little odds and ends.

Last edited:
Was riding a bit today, first time I hit the brakes it sounded like a trumpet. Head home double check, yeah, trailing edge hitting first on both brakes, everything's tight and moving right and evenly.
Keep riding same thing.
Looked up these odyssey ghost pads - made to be loud. What the.... , really. I guess the new school riders want ratchet sounding hubs and horns for brakes.
Gonna order some new 990 brake pads.
Never thought building bikes would bring me to say, "D.mn Kids" I'm officially old :21:

Last edited:
Bump Bump

New set up. Sunday 2.25 tires, rush V2 freecoaster rear hub on cinema 777 rim, Fit hoodbird 9" rise bars and fit stem.

Gotta get use to the freecoaster. Then learn a few tricks.

I already owned the purple tires...I put all my other purple parts on my daughters bike.
20180911_191122.jpg

Latest posts

Back