PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I'm hoping a few of you can answer a question for me.

Within a paragraph, tell me why you chose to start working with vintage or custom bicycles. Also, if you don't mind, state your age in your answer as well.

I'm curious to know what motivates the users here to be involved in this hobby and what you get from it.

Hello im Floyd 52 long time watcher on here first time posting haha!
I have been a car guy my whole life So when i broke my leg at work 7 years ago my Dr said you need to exercise that leg when it got better of course, So i thought im getting a bicycle Well being the car guy i was I'm not riding a plain bicycle i got the huffy big daddy "flat black red rims" like a factory custom, yes i know not a classic but i had no idea about old bikes at the time and then i became a member on here and saw all of these bikes and thought Wow these are all cool ! So now my main one is a early 40's Colson Goodyear Wings that's the short story about me Thank you rat rod bikes for making this website [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Hi. Mal, 43, from Scotland.
When I found myself able to commute to work by bike I bought a boring bike from a boring bike shop. I found most cyclists and bikeshops rude and I never fitted in. Then I found this website and the joy and freedom of building the bikes I had and wanted as a kid. To me the connection to my childhood is what it's all about. Not lycra and expensive carbon bikes!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

They weren't "vintage" when I started. :crazy:
More like used, second hand, old clunky junker. :grin:
My first bike without fat fenders and a spring seat was a stripped down second hand Eliminator from a repair/used lawn mower shop. My parents tried to talk me into an "English racer" type, but I was not interested.

The technological simplicity compared to cars and motorcycles, the expression of creativity in building, the youthful joy of riding and the nostalgia for an America long gone. 56.

furyus

I am 39, i love cars in general. My favorites are Cadillacs, but I like em old. That would be thanks to my grandpa who was a Cadillac fanatic.
As for bikes, i would buy the latest bike magazine and i would plan my builds on paper when I was like 12 years old. I wanted to have a bike that no one in the neighborhood had. I always wanted to be custom. I got into vintage bikes because I love antiques. I go antiquing every so often.
I wanted to start riding with my wife but a walmart bike just wasn't going to cut it for me but I wanted a beach cruiser for sure. I picked up my very first bike a couple of weeks ago now. It was a western flyer. I knew it wouldn't stay stock and it hasn't. I found this site and started reading and checking out other ppls bikes. All I can say is wow, you guys are awesome. I picked up another bike for my wife to ride, which was a hiawatha ladies bikes. I want my wife and I to ride and feel like we are riding back in time to when things were built with more quality than the tin cans now.
Thanks to rat rod bikes, my dream finally has almost made it to the road, just need a few more things to get it out there.
Jamie

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm 50, live in Marietta GA.
I've always been a fan of wheels, from Hot Wheels, to my first bike (Columbia Playbike 88) I've always appreciated the designs of cars, motorcycles, and of course bicycles. These vehicles grant us our first 'freedoms' and reflect our personalities and tastes. From that first musclebike I went on to the many bent and broken MX and BMX bikes of my early adolescence, to the road bikes of my late teens, MTBs in my 20s-30s to the the vintage rides that I've been obsessed with for the last decade or so.
What got me hooked on vintage rides, was a family vacation where, at a VERY low point in my life, I decided to rent a bicycle to tool around on. It was like being hit with a bolt of 'relief lightning'! My mind went back to those simpler times of riding all over 'God's green acre', as my grandmother would say, with my brothers and friends. Those days when I didn't worry about work deadlines or bills or all the other 'baggage' that starts to pile on our backs as we go down life's journey. In that moment, I found a relief valve, something that re-grounded me and returned some 'simple' to my life.
I've had the pleasure of being on this forum for most of that time and truly appreciate all the work that Steve and the moderators put into keeping this 'world' spinning for us all.

Cheers everyone,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got started back into bikes in general when I bought a pair of Dahon folders at a yard sale, which led me to flipping bikes, which led me to buying this 78 Schwinn Spitfire 5 and the seller telling me about Rat Rod Bikes. That was back in 2009. I lurked around here watching but not making a post until late in Build Off 6 when I just had to jump into the fun everyone was having and built BEER RUN in 30 days. After experiencing the BO camaraderie and fun, especially with fellow BO Freshmen @Jake Sensi and @yoothgeye , I was hooked in a big way. It really opened my eyes to the cool old bikes that were out there and the creative ways RRBers were creating artistic fun rides with them. I have been hooked ever since. Part of it is the variety and coolness of old bikes. Part of it is the hunt and wheeling and dealing of flipping bikes, then using those funds to way more than pay for the cool stuff I get to play with. But honestly the biggest joy that I have gotten from the old and custom bike scene, has been the people!! The virtual friendships you form with people you never meet face to face, but somehow are still "bike brothers" is hard to describe. But I have also been lucky enough to meet so many bike guys across the country and around the world. The people that share the passion for cool bikes is what keeps this 56 year old dude playing with kids bikes and smiling.

SchwinnSpittfire5avatar.jpg

In the early '70's (I'm 64) I used to do auto body and paint and mild custom motorcycles.. Then I took a gov't job and did it part time, then stopped completely. Around 2005 I decided I needed a hobby. I told my wife that I wanted to build a motorcycle or a custom bicycle. She asked: What's the difference? I said: About $20,000...That's how I got started.

Thanks to Steve, my best moment HERE!

RRBcalendar2012_cover.JPG

Last edited:
Someone stole my first Stingray off my porch when I was a kid , been building ,collecting ,buyin,trading,flipping ,restoring, giving away,
Riding, and lookin for old bikes ever since..

Rafael

Mark 57 WA retired. I always tinkered and changed things my bike as a kid, had a small vintage bike collection at one time. I like mechanical and old stuff, my mountain bike was fine 25 years ago (SM800 Cannondale still have it), but I wanted something more up right style. I didn't really see anything new that I liked, built a cruise/klunker with mix of new and vintage parts and was hooked. Now I'm always looking for the next build project. I have a few in the works, but your always on the look out. This can be relatively inexpensive as a hobby and not sacrifice any quality, I'm having a blast!

I was inspired by the stories of the pre-mountain bikers that built the klunkers in CA. They sourced parts from road racers, banana bikes and others to try to turn their cruisers into something more off-road capable.
I have tried to apply that "klunker resourcefulness" to other types of bikes. I'm fitty seven.

Mark 36
I grew with family members that where either into auto racing or kustom / hot rods
Unfortunately I can never just pick one project to dedicate my full time and effort into
With cars that does not work out so well especially while living close to the beach
But doing this has allowed me to be creative on a budget
One thing however that was difficult is that up until I saw this website
I didn't know there were any other brands besides Schwinn's, huffy's and Murray's when it came to vintage cruisers

Last edited:
I GOT INTO THIS SPORT BY TAKING MY SON'S TO BIKE WORKS IN PHILLY. AFTER PURCHASING A BIKE I RAN ACROSS THIS SITE. I WAS INSPIRED BY THE GALLERY OF KOOL BIKES. WHEN I SAW THE BUILD OFF I JUMPED AT THE CHANCE TO SHOW MY SKILLS.
I ENTERED MY FIRST CUSTOM THE GREAT RETRO-RAT-O AND THE REST IS HISTORY. I ALSO MEET MY PARTNER AND BROTHER IN CRIME @KINGFISH (MY BROTHER B) WHEN HE CAME TO PHILLY THAT YEAR. I DON'T DO IT TO WIN- I DO IT TO HAVE FUN. I'M 56 AND A BIG KID AT HEART. PEACE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

53 here.. I've been riding for 47 years straight. Grew up in the dawn of BMX. Rode a Stingray with Hodaka bars and whatever parts I could afford mowing lawns. I had some nice bikes, I was into 10 speeds and BMX till I was 16. My pops owned a Honda shop so I already had a couple motorcycles and a car, a license was a ticket out of town and into the Navy.
My first rat bike was in C school in San Diego. My 3 BEQ roommates and I went in on a 60's Schwinn cantilever ($5 each) that was more rust than bike. I cleaned it up and put a Blue band 2 speed on it. Rusty red freckles with fenders that would slice your fingers off, It was beautiful, it was fast and it was different. Haters would ride it and come back smiling, wanting to buy it. I don't think we ever locked it . No one in there right mind would risk riding such a rust bucket much less stealing it. (got stolen in 88' =(

Last edited:
I'm Forty-nine, and i've never had a lot of money. My Grandparents (God rest them both) were honest-to-God Great Depression babies and taught me to re-use everything and throw nothing away.

(this is not a good habit to have now that I live in an RV BTW) :arghh:

At any rate, I was always able to afford decent furniture (Salvation Army Thrift store + sandpaper and varnish = real furniture for next to nothing, Old Pinto or VW + Chilton's Guides and wrenches= something to drive...I have never been able to make more than Poverty level wages here in NC, but with my frugal ways I have been able to, well, stay alive.

When I was Seven Grandad purchased a 1971 Schwinn for $5 and tried to teach me to ride-and I learned, but Seven-year-old Me just didn't have the power, skill or endurance to wrestle that solid 26" frame upright, climb it like a tree, and fall to the ground at the end of each ride...into the barn it went.

Forward Twenty-five years later...Grandad had just received a Quadruple bypass and a pacemaker and was resting comfortably indoors and telling everybody that the whole thing was 'no big deal' and that his wife shouldn't have pulled him off the tractor, after all he'd had a Full Week to recover and he felt 'just fine'...:rolleyes:

I spent that day cleaning out one of his many old barns-and I found that old Schwinn, blue and cream and not a speck of rust on the frame...and walked it Home. I remembered every step that Grandad had done all those years ago...I left the chain on the bike, sprayed with WD-40 until every link moved like silk, then brushed on a can of old transmission fluid mixed with motor oil. I loosened the cups on both wheels, not enough for the bearings to fall out, but enough to spray solvent until all the old grease was gone and then emptied half a tube of lithium Chainsaw grease into the cups and tighten them back up. I soaked a plastic Brillo pad in Diesel and scoured the surface corrosion, leaving old blued steel,still perfectly trued.

The next morning I went to a local K-mart and picked up two tubes and tires, installed them with two spoons, wiped the excess oil from my chain and took it outside-my heart was pounding like a .... drum, I hadn't ridden a bike since I was Seven for God's sake...

I took off on that old single-speed as easily as if I had trained for a lifetime, and before it even registered on my consciousness I had travelled 14 miles to the nearest town. I grabbed Breakfast, took a half-hour to digest and started back-and half way back I started weeping so hard that I had to stop awhile, I still don't know why...and afterwards I felt like i'd had a week's vacation, just the simple soft rhythm of my legs on pedals, no hurry or sense of competition...it was pure and relaxing and I had never known how much I needed it until then.

I rode that 1971 Schwinn several days a week for years on end and never had to replace a single component-and about a year after Grandma passed on (outlasting her husband by a single year) I spotted my nephew eyeing my old blue-and-cream with pure admiration-of course I gave it to him, there's no greater joy on Earth than being able to share things with Family, right?

Of course that left me with no bike. :( But I couldn't help but notice that people would throw bikes away whenever they got tired of them ( What is WRONG with these people!!!!!) so I would start picking up abandoned frames left by the trash, check my little Repair guide for details and pick up a wrench, take my time and wind up with something that worked...

And then I discovered the Internet (ALL OF THE INFORMATION FOR FREE I MUST HAVE IT) :21: ran into YOU LOT and there was no escaping after that! :rofl:

At any rate my lovely 1993 Ford Festiva turned Thirty this year and immediately decided to blow every single electric component at once, alas...So i'm currently on a 2013 Zen-n scooter which is not really optimal for transport of Bicycles. I will have a car eventually though-and then I have projects to begin once more-for here in Newport the wealthy purchase bikes in the $300-$800 range, ride them in the salt air, do NO maintenance or even oiling of the chain, and throw them away when they break WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!! Meanwhile over a dozen retired folks, blue-collar workers and those who have no cars need reliable transport or just cheap, relaxing fun-and all of those 'broken' bikes just need a new chain or a tube or some OIL for God's sake-i'm the owner of an amazing one-speed Kent Traveller folder, a former 5-speed somebody let rot in his back yard, all I had to do was rip off the broken derailleur, shorten the chain and add oil, didn't cost a friggen' penny to get back on the road....seriously there is something wrong with this planet...:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

Ah well, enough ranting for one night, I have wrenches to clean.

Latest posts

Back