Hi from a Brit in New Jersey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
My name is Ross and I’ve been a lurker for only a week but wanted to say hi. I grew up most of my life from a baby in England on US Airforce bases ,but the longer summers here (where sunshine actually exists) caught my attention 7 years ago when I came to visit family and now 7 years later I’m a permanent fixture. I am a funny talker to say the least.

My history with bikes is extensive but is mostly mountain biking which I have built quite a few and raced them also. I road bike out of necessity to keep in equilibrium my love of pizza and good ol’ fashioned American burgers.

My girlfriend a few weeks back won a men’s cruiser bike which she gave to me. Not sure of brands yet but it wasn’t great in terms of its components that were anything but smooth. Being obsessed with customizing my mountain bikes, I stripped it down to the bone till there was only the frame left which is a sturdy steel frame.

Since then its been stripped and powder coated and the next thing I know my bank hates me but I have a ton of new components on the way to build a custom chopper type cruiser from the frame up. I’m not sure this constitutes a “Rat Rod”, but I’d love to share my progress with all you very talented people in a separate appropriate thread. I plan to build a custom wheel set and also do some custom gloss black paint on top of the flat black powder coat for a nice ghost effect. It should look pretty cool. I’m also making some really sweet custom tire valve caps I think some of you may find cool.

I sure am excited and I’m really hooked on this cruiser concept. It certainly wont be the last one I build. I already want to do a rusty Frankenstein type rat rod for my next project, inspired by the very talented people on this forum.

Anyway salutations and thank you for having me. I’m new to all this so any advice or criticism I am very grateful for!

Best

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Ross.
Looking forward to following your build thread.
As a fellow Brit (UK resident) I can confirm you'll find plenty of encouragement and helpful advice from forum members here on RRB.

Hi Folks,
My name is Ross and I’ve been a lurker for only a week but wanted to say hi. I grew up most of my life from a baby in England on US Airforce bases ,but the longer summers here (where sunshine actually exists) caught my attention 7 years ago when I came to visit family and now 7 years later I’m a permanent fixture. I am a funny talker to say the least.

My history with bikes is extensive but is mostly mountain biking which I have built quite a few and raced them also. I road bike out of necessity to keep in equilibrium my love of pizza and good ol’ fashioned American burgers.

My girlfriend a few weeks back won a men’s cruiser bike which she gave to me. Not sure of brands yet but it wasn’t great in terms of its components that were anything but smooth. Being obsessed with customizing my mountain bikes, I stripped it down to the bone till there was only the frame left which is a sturdy steel frame.

Since then its been stripped and powder coated and the next thing I know my bank hates me but I have a ton of new components on the way to build a custom chopper type cruiser from the frame up. I’m not sure this constitutes a “Rat Rod”, but I’d love to share my progress with all you very talented people in a separate appropriate thread. I plan to build a custom wheel set and also do some custom gloss black paint on top of the flat black powder coat for a nice ghost effect. It should look pretty cool. I’m also making some really sweet custom tire valve caps I think some of you may find cool.

I sure am excited and I’m really hooked on this cruiser concept. It certainly wont be the last one I build. I already want to do a rusty Frankenstein type rat rod for my next project, inspired by the very talented people on this forum.

Anyway salutations and thank you for having me. I’m new to all this so any advice or criticism I am very grateful for!

Best

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
YO! Rat Rod Bikers are close to you. Jersey Devils B.C. in the central part of NJ. I visit MDL quiet often as I am retired military. If your interested in checking us out you can private message me. I'm just across the river just 30 miles north of Philadelphia in Fairless Hills, PA.
Welcome to RRB!

YO! Rat Rod Bikers are close to you. Jersey Devils B.C. in the central part of NJ. I visit MDL quiet often as I am retired military. If your interested in checking us out you can private message me. I'm just across the river just 30 miles north of Philadelphia in Fairless Hills, PA.
Welcome to RRB!

Brilliant! Thanks for the info I’m def down for that. Pm inbound

Welcome from a Brit that was actually in New Jersey just a few weeks before you joined the forum! Blimey it was cold! Also agree with roadwarrior you have to hook up with the Jersey Devils! We spent new years day with them riding around Philly and New Jersey! Great Fun!! Look forward to keeping in touch!

Welcome from a Brit that was actually in New Jersey just a few weeks before you joined the forum! Blimey it was cold! Also agree with roadwarrior you have to hook up with the Jersey Devils! We spent new years day with them riding around Philly and New Jersey! Great Fun!! Look forward to keeping in touch!
And the cold continues. the weather is crazy at the moment.
thanks for the welcome. Yes i have been talking to Mike. Fully intend to go for a ride with the good people.

I am another NJ newbie to the RRB forum, north Jersey near NYC. Been building and riding bikes for the past 40 years. Raced BMX all through my high school years, now its 26 inch cruisers for me. Need to get with a group that are not a bunch of spandex wearing hammerheads, and just like to cruise on our bikes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back