Dyno Bike History?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have really enjoyed this topic in the last few years - so thank you all.

I recently bought a poorly painted Dyno frame and maybe someone can help me identify it. Somewhere in the past the chain-guard tabs and the kickstand had been removed from the frame, but at $40 I went for it. Looks to me like a painted over Von Franco frame. It has the Dnyo D at the end of the top tube. But this is where my experience of this frame ID ends.

I have not seen the D stamped on both sides of the rear dropouts before.
And have not seen the way the seat stay is welded to the dropouts. Usually, the seat stay is welded to the front end of the dropout and not welded all along the top of the dropout.

The chainstays are narrower close up to the bottom bracket. The other Dyno's I have go wide right after the where the stays are welded to the funnel-shaped part between the bottom bracket and the chainstay. I am thinking that this frame was originally for a 26-inch narrow tire and not the 24-inch fattie. Any thoughts? Does this coincide with the Von Franco frame?

I also included a pic of the serial number - can anyone ID this frame?

BTW: Some years back I created a Dyno website: www.DynoBicycles.info and took photos and info from all over the Internet as a resource for Dyno lovers. If you find a photo that is yours - you can help me to ID the bike and I will give you photo credit. Of course, if you want me to take your photo down, just let me know and I will do so at your request. And if anyone has a cache of Dyno photos to donate, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Dyno-green_4520.jpg
    Dyno-green_4520.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Dyno-green_4524.jpg
    Dyno-green_4524.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 400
  • Dyno-green_4530.jpg
    Dyno-green_4530.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 396
I have really enjoyed this topic in the last few years - so thank you all.

I recently bought a poorly painted Dyno frame and maybe someone can help me identify it. Somewhere in the past the chain-guard tabs and the kickstand had been removed from the frame, but at $40 I went for it. Looks to me like a painted over Von Franco frame. It has the Dnyo D at the end of the top tube. But this is where my experience of this frame ID ends.

I have not seen the D stamped on both sides of the rear dropouts before.
And have not seen the way the seat stay is welded to the dropouts. Usually, the seat stay is welded to the front end of the dropout and not welded all along the top of the dropout.

The chainstays are narrower close up to the bottom bracket. The other Dyno's I have go wide right after the where the stays are welded to the funnel-shaped part between the bottom bracket and the chainstay. I am thinking that this frame was originally for a 26-inch narrow tire and not the 24-inch fattie. Any thoughts? Does this coincide with the Von Franco frame?

I also included a pic of the serial number - can anyone ID this frame?

BTW: Some years back I created a Dyno website: www.DynoBicycles.info and took photos and info from all over the Internet as a resource for Dyno lovers. If you find a photo that is yours - you can help me to ID the bike and I will give you photo credit. Of course, if you want me to take your photo down, just let me know and I will do so at your request. And if anyone has a cache of Dyno photos to donate, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks so much!

What you got here is an early Dyno Glide (Dyno-Matic), you may find more of them in this thread. Here are some examples:
image-1.jpg

2D516F16-5521-4115-8315-88FDB1BE621C-14209-00000D8BC2CB1857_zpsefa11259.jpg

611E2431-2052-47C1-B428-1FED87AA988D-14209-00000D8BCD3E400B_zps6f6dab14.jpg

BA4BFD3B-66E9-4EC7-A09C-A60E38E1170B-14209-00000D8BE04003D4_zps6caea84c.jpg

1BB58331-0406-4319-BA97-6329CE665930-14209-00000D8BF25C3899_zps1d7c6229.jpg

By the way, thanks a lot for your website, i came across that few times while working on my bikes and researching some history :)

You might also like the pictures of the early prototype of this frame, all comes from this forum.
7dc333c40ea91d28f165f6c0ee60ae9c.jpg

83074ba5eb8532a115188d53d38d5542.jpg

Yes, everything was original when I got it from the scrap heap. It was only missing the seat and handlebars with stem. Tires and everything had very little wear, but the 20 year old tires were dry rotted.

Is that the original chain guard? I thought the longer chain guards were on the later bikes. I thought the early bikes had the short chain guards.
The early Dynos had long and curved chain guard. After 1999 they had short one, like Mooneyes, but i guess they had used both types later? But there is no pre 1999 Dyno i have seen with a short chain guard.

What’s up guys. Just needed some expert advice. Iv owned a later model dyno roadster and KK roadster. I recently was in SoCal and found a cruiser that looked to be a dyno coaster. Pics were bad, so I went to take a look. Everything I see ads up to a coaster, except no “D” tube stamp and serial number :mad:. So I’m pretty disappointed. But it looks and feels like a dyno. The handle bars had the stamp. Here are some pics, just want your opinion. Sorry, had to break it down to fit in the car for th ride back up north.

Attachments

• B8319207-F2EF-4007-91B1-3BABD4AC97E7.jpeg
    B8319207-F2EF-4007-91B1-3BABD4AC97E7.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 8362A4F1-A8AD-4550-B3A5-F31D86C10D66.jpeg
    8362A4F1-A8AD-4550-B3A5-F31D86C10D66.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 421
  • 52EBB758-86B7-43D2-AAE6-7705C6D7261D.jpeg
    52EBB758-86B7-43D2-AAE6-7705C6D7261D.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 400
  • EBBFCB4F-872C-42AA-8656-A20CD2104F05.jpeg
    EBBFCB4F-872C-42AA-8656-A20CD2104F05.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 0AC0FF1D-1178-42A3-8FEA-CA6EB8A218FB.jpeg
    0AC0FF1D-1178-42A3-8FEA-CA6EB8A218FB.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 0504162B-3A2B-425A-893D-3B70477E6E5D.jpeg
    0504162B-3A2B-425A-893D-3B70477E6E5D.jpeg
    640.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 4DAB245B-BB6B-41D4-B161-93728D7608B7.jpeg
    4DAB245B-BB6B-41D4-B161-93728D7608B7.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 336
What’s up guys. Just needed some expert advice. Iv owned a later model dyno roadster and KK roadster. I recently was in SoCal and found a cruiser that looked to be a dyno coaster. Pics were bad, so I went to take a look. Everything I see ads up to a coaster, except no “D” tube stamp and serial number :mad:. So I’m pretty disappointed. But it looks and feels like a dyno. The handle bars had the stamp. Here are some pics, just want your opinion. Sorry, had to break it down to fit in the car for th ride back up north.
Huh! That's interesting. I have never seen Dyno's without a D stamp. Though that does not mean they don't exist, you know what rare exemplars you may seen time to time.
Best case scenario: your bike is some rare early production Coaster. Then buy it and love it!
Worst case scenario: your bike is assembled of OG Dyno parts and replaced repro frame. Still not too bad, if you buy it for a price of a repro bike :)
If i were you i'd just try to negotiate and buy it cheaper, then enjoy it. This is kind of a build i am making now, having my first cruiser bike that is a repro Roadster by Lowrider (Lowrider Limousine), that i assemble using OG Dyno forks, KK chain guard, seat post clamps and so on.

It's gotta be a Coaster, the paint is right. Maybe the D was filled in and painted, it looks flat black compared to the rest of the paint being glossy. Maybe the serial was covered also. Far fetched but that's the only thing I can think of. No head badge?
I think that's a real Dyno and will look great when you get done with it.

It's gotta be a Coaster, the paint is right. Maybe the D was filled in and painted, it looks flat black compared to the rest of the paint being glossy. Maybe the serial was covered also. Far fetched but that's the only thing I can think of. No head badge?
An early coaster wouldn't of had a head badge anyway. Just a decal

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh! That's interesting. I have never seen Dyno's without a D stamp. Though that does not mean they don't exist, you know what rare exemplars you may seen time to time.
Best case scenario: your bike is some rare early production Coaster. Then buy it and love it!
Worst case scenario: your bike is assembled of OG Dyno parts and replaced repro frame. Still not too bad, if you buy it for a price of a repro bike :)
If i were you i'd just try to negotiate and buy it cheaper, then enjoy it. This is kind of a build i am making now, having my first cruiser bike that is a repro Roadster by Lowrider (Lowrider Limousine), that i assemble using OG Dyno forks, KK chain guard, seat post clamps and so on.

It’s pretty dead on when I compare to other coaster/roadsters. The frame does seam lighter then my last roadster. I know the forks/wheels and tires are aftermarket. The Cain guard tucks perfectly behind the frame. I got it for $100 and the kid was asking $200. Just because it didn’t have the stamps. He was around early 20s and said it was his fathers bike for as long as he could remember. I purchased it in Long Beach.

Good catch on the paint differences. I’m tempted to sand it down a little to take a look.

I recently became aware that there are a least 2 versions of the Dyno Von Franco Taboo Tiki. Mine has the integrated kickstand ( Like Schwinn and Felt - a tube welded under the frame, well behind the BB) , and the forward flared ends of the grips are black. There is another version - a welded mounting plate directly below the BB for a bolt on kickstand, and the forward flared ends of the grips are chrome. Both bikes have the tan vinyl sleeve around the grips, that match the seat.

I recently became aware that there are a least 2 versions of the Dyno Von Franco Taboo Tiki. Mine has the integrated kickstand ( Like Schwinn and Felt - a tube welded under the frame, well behind the BB) , and the forward flared ends of the grips are black. There is another version - a welded mounting plate directly below the BB for a bolt on kickstand, and the forward flared ends of the grips are chrome. Both bikes have the tan vinyl sleeve around the grips, that match the seat.
That probably are post-2000 and pre-2000 versions, since that is how the kick-stands differ on other glides.

If anyone is looking for an old dyno, I just saw a Dyno Von Franco for sale in Calgary.
Used $200 CDN at a Calgary bike shop called BikeBike

Latest posts

Back