PJ Bike Hauler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a cool bike, accessory or part but rather a large “bike rack”. I’ve been looking for a small trailer to use as a bike hauler. I was able to make a deal on a slightly used PJ Steel bed trailer. We picked it up on Monday. I haven’t pulled a trailer for years, now I need to learn to back one up again.
Anyway I have a couple of racks to use in the bed and bed box that used in my old Mazda truck. I’m thinking I’ll make some old school wooden side racks for it and possibly remove the rear ramp. Here is a before pic and after rough concept sketch.
7301f61cdf5ea23f0096f5c896321853.jpg

fe74aeb785cf1dcf7643195239c1acb2.jpg

Who knows what will happen at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a thinking of a trailer myself. For hauling bikes and other stuff. Not necessarily at the same time. My interest is peeked on your bed box and racks to secure the bikes. How many safely secured on a good day you thinking? Outside of a pile like some of the guys that show up at the swaps. Would like to see it when you call it done and loaded up.

~Kruez

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a thinking of a trailer myself. For hauling bikes and other stuff. Not necessarily at the same time. My interest is peeked on your bed box and racks to secure the bikes. How many safely secured on a good day you thinking? Outside of a pile like some of the guys that show up at the swaps. Would like to see it when you call it done and loaded up.

~Kruez
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I don’t really have any bikes that I would want to just pile onto a trailer either, some parts, but not a bike. I don’t even like getting them rained on, but I have. So the open trailer is a compromise.
With the current racks I have up to 7 safely with turning a few bars 90 degrees. 4 to 5 would be easy allowing for other loose items and or my old truck bed security box. The trailer bed is 5’x10’ inside. A 6’ wide bed would work better...point of interest for anyone else reading this.
Currently I use a “real heavy” 4 bike Hollywood hitch rack. With my tailgate down 4 in truck bed and up to 3 on the hitch rack. My concern is that I’m putting too much weight on the hitch and they wobble around. I always try to put the lighter bikes on the hitch rack. It takes forever to load and unload.
Thus the trailer, the truck bed gets freed up for the stuff that now goes into the back seat, and allows for more volume. The better solution would be an enclosed trailer or box truck, but more dollars.
Oh the agony of trying to downsize after riding, buying, collecting, building, hoarding for too many years.
Current photo of my system...
1bef74b02b49089f1f16f4674c2fde87.jpg

d599d3aa61131821bc23f0a75fb94df4.jpg

Two in this load were sold at the last swap meet plus one that wasn’t loaded yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back