I'll just keep adding here...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome LaGuna score!!! Congrats! So cool.
Thanks man! I appreciate the help and advice before I pulled the trigger. Its great as it sits, but I can't wait to break it down and rebuild as my own. The previous owner put repop decals over the faded paint. I can't decide to remove or leave em. I don't plan on painting, so we'll see.

Picked this early 90s Hoffman bmx up at a yard sale for $5
D08D17A1-4529-4FDD-BCD7-91844DC59413.jpeg

Pretty rough. But has a cool GT stem and Peregrine seat clamp I’ll keep.

Another freebie. Late 80s/early 90s KHS mountain bike.
Araya 7x laced to suntour sealed hub front wheel, locking headset top nut, green ano brakes:)

View attachment 82980

Nice little bits on that bike. Do you keep it as is or part the bike out for another project? Only asking cause I’m thinking of parting out my Mongoose ATB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice little bits on that bike. Do you keep it as is or part the bike out for another project? Only asking cause I’m thinking of parting out my Mongoose ATB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On this one I’ll be keeping the wheels and lock nut, add other wheels, etc, and sell it.

I'm going to have to start looking for a hairpin as well...I want to do a Bob Burrowes replica, and his bike had one of those god-awful seats :bigsmile:.

Jason
They sure are huge! I look forward to seeing your build Jason! More comfy then I expected, but we’ll see once I actually get it on a bike ride
I have a frame that looks very, very similar to this, and you can see where i’m gonna go with it...
477009A4-08F1-45DE-BB54-930AD2AC70BC.png

Last edited:
I was reading through this a year or two ago...descriptions first, and then the pic. I read '50 Spitfire...looked at the bike and thought, kinda ugly...then double taked :13: and realized that it was far from a '50 Spitfire and started researching it. Soon...I was head over heels for it, and decided I needed one. Except for the seat...big giant wart :grin:.

Jason

I was reading through this a year or two ago...descriptions first, and then the pic. I read '50 Spitfire...looked at the bike and thought, kinda ugly...then double taked :13: and realized that it was far from a '50 Spitfire and started researching it. Soon...I was head over heels for it, and decided I needed one. Except for the seat...big giant wart :grin:.

Jason
Yes, its a Dude 'Emory' frame. Its built, but I've been collecting era appropriate parts for it. And that is for sure not a '50 spit! looks to be a '62 double straight bar?? Got cranks for mine today actually.. I should start adding smalls to this thread.

Be stoked to see ya recreate that build man! Those bars are tough to find. I recently snagged a bike for a bud for just that style bars.

Fortunately...watching the videos to catch glimpses of the bike (and they are elusive), there were multiple incarnations that I can cherry pick from :grin:. I will go with a hairpin, even though I think I've seen one pic with a standard schwinn approved saddle...the hairpin is one of the defining items on his bike. It is a continuous double straight bar. That's what really caught my attention. All the articles and interviews...prewar schwinn, preferably Excelsior, blah, blah, blah...and then it turns out the first official winner '61-'62 double straight bar :rockout:. Looking through the various race results...he was almost always one of the fastest times.

The guy doesn't seem to get any of the accolades of Fisher, Kelly, Ritchey, Breeze, etc...but, he is in almost every video I've dug up.

Its even him, and the Schwinn, on the famous 'I'd rather be klunking' shirts (as he made them)...

klunkers01a.jpg

Jason

edit...unfortunately, one of the clearest pics of the bike...
719aed935faad139d3d5a064dfcfd151.gif

Early 80s Nishiki so cheap I couldn’t not buy it.
062ADFE1-AC6A-44C0-96DE-A00B8D79E83C.jpeg

POS huffy bought for the haro/kastan mid 90s 26 Atb fork and wheels/tires
978128ED-F7F1-4C6E-BAB2-A2D7DD340410.jpeg

Someone cut the headtube down bc the fork steerer was short. So, the frame is trash. Will strip for thya parts pile and ditch the frame

Yes, its a Dude 'Emory' frame.
I've got a pair of them...I was planning on doing one as a DG Green Duck tribute, since I have a sticker set. The frames look a lot closer to a Cal-Cruiser than a DG though...will probably fool most peeps :thumbsup:

Jason

Latest posts

Back