1860s bicycle lock

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At least that what I'm using it for. No jokes about using these in the bedroom allowed. It was a rusty greasy mess when I got it. A little scrubbing with Ajax, a 4 day soak in Iron Out, a coating of Ospho, a coat of Penetrol and then oiled up with Gibbs penetrating oil. Blacksmith forged, even the key and locks. It appears to have a copper alloy instead of a brass alloy for the welding. I made the mistake of seeing if they fit me and it's a lot easier to get even one side off if you have two hands. I don't think I could get them both unlocked by myself. The lock is tricky, but I have been practicing. Since they aren't adjustable I'm assuming the lawmen had a variety of sizes. These fit me, snug, and I can't get my hand out.
IMG_1491.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think anybody will steal your bike with that dungeon-esque lock affixed.

That's too cool! I wouldn't be locking my bike up with it though out of fear. Maybe of losing that cool piece over the bike itself :D Maybe up in Michigan its a little more friendly than south Tucson, Az. But those links would be twisted off in a heart beat down here. From what I can tell, my last bike stolen had the U-lock twisted off, the down tube and seat tube were both dented from what looked liked leverage.

But, again those cuffs are SUPER cool!

That's too cool! I wouldn't be locking my bike up with it though out of fear. Maybe of losing that cool piece over the bike itself :D Maybe up in Michigan its a little more friendly than south Tucson, Az. But those links would be twisted off in a heart beat down here. From what I can tell, my last bike stolen had the U-lock twisted off, the down tube and seat tube were both dented from what looked liked leverage.

But, again those cuffs are SUPER cool!
Yeah, this would never work in the city. Even a small chain breaker would cut it like butter. The local brew pub has a bike repair station and a pile of bikes all around it and people drinking on the patio and front porch so it will be in plain view for where I will use it most. Most people end their mountain bike and road rides here. Any lock is super easy and fast to remove if you have access to the required technology. A local guy has the contract to remove abandoned bicycles from campus after school is out. He uses liquid nitrogen and taps them with a hammer. Even the heaviest U lock is no match, the metal shatters. He carries it in some kind of thermos and pores a little on the place he wants to hit. The whole process takes 15 seconds including uncapping, capping, and hitting. I think he is a professor and uses the schools liquid nitrogen.

Latest posts

Back