Bamboo bikes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Anyone build one? Got one? Make one? http://ghanabamboobikes.org/en/
http://www.zambikeszambia.com/contact/
home_strong.jpg
I gots to have me one :D Some are metal fixtures with bamboo straight pipes shoved in, which looks like dog doo IMHO, the ones straight out of the jungle made by natives look cool as heck to me! Id love to pass me up some carbon fiber or ti on some boo!

bamboo_bike3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a email into two of the African companies distributing these for a quote. If anyone else is interested let me know.....

I'll warn you right now that those bikes may be sustainable, but they're not cheap. If you really wanted to build one for yourself, you could do so by cannibalizing a throw-away Magna for all the non-bamboo parts. The various joints get lashed together with carbon fiber "twine" and saturated with two-part resin.

BTW, bamboo is not so exotic as you may think--there's a large stand of the stuff growing less than a mile from here...in suburban Maryland. It would need to be cut, dried, sized, checked for warpage; all that good stuff. But hey...free bamboo bike.

Last edited:
American and europeans as usual think highly of what they make and Ive seen frames hovering around $1K-$2 US, of course these are more massaged by hand into smooth shapes and ruin the look IMHO. Alibaba has frames more like what im after for $50-$200, US....I am anxious to see what they cost "straight out the jungle" lolol...I might have to buy 10 of em, but if the price is okay, im fine with that. I am in good with 3 LBS's, I am sure i could hang em up and get one or two for free in the end :D

I still have one bamboo/carbon bike frame left. I'll try to uncover a pic of it. I sold/traded the other two frames for $150 plus shipping

Actually it was $150 shipped that I sold this one for

6775_8609f447b7159290e9f24d676febc2a0.jpg

The one that I have left is almost the same geometry and size.

WP_001545.jpg

Super cool man, a dirt jump boo bike! LOL! who made those? what was your opinion of them?

The frames seemed to be well made, but the components on the frames were definitely low end. I bought three from a guy on CL. I think they were used as demo bikes to pursue the bamboo market. He got them at an auction. One was set up as a road bike with normal diamond frame geometry. The last one I sold was rigged up as a hybrid. And this last one is rigged up as a MTB.

Picked up a bamboo frame at VeloSwap on Saturday. Photos to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a bamboo frame at VeloSwap on Saturday. Photos to follow.
Here’s the frame. I had the springer fork which I mocked up. Will need to shorten the steerer tube if I use it.
92811704914b3ee99ad894e1a6138740.jpg
02034a8ae473b631235999b2d66d729c.jpg
1468b5851de8e346e0fe024cc7438b37.jpg

Rideable mock-up. Assuming this frame came from a kit, it was built by a shop in Denver area.
fe638f7811e51bac733f54b270ff162d.jpg
3a0c364422e034ca4db151988bf624fc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Admittedly, I never saw the attraction to "boo" bikes. If I were to make a bike out of anything other than conventional materials, it'd have to be plywood. It probably would not be as strong as boo, but would certainly look better.

Latest posts

Back