BO15 SPRING FEVER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m with every one above, loving the red seat and pipes!

As far as building a Rat, I think it’s forum rules not to try and define, so whatever you build, you’re good.

I enjoy seeing bikes from purists (restore to original), to “make the old new again, but not worry about ‘correct’ parts” to “make the new look old” to patinas and rustifieds to old frames/modern components to custom who-knows-whats, and all shades in between, and beyond.

Thanks! I'm having a constant internal battle about what parts to include or leave out. I'm used to doing full restorations, so it's hard to mentally depart from that thinking. But, I'll get there, and I'll have a bike at the end of it as long as I can look at it and feel like everything fits. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find the perfect balance of crusty and new.

1. Definitely the red padded seat. Splash of color and style.
2. The second photo you posted, with the seat more horizontal. It matches the straight bar on that cool old Columbia frame!
3. New parts on an old RaT-ina frame = money look! Refer to @Chad T muscle bike builds, he's the king of that look.
4. Muscle bike is in your blood. Go with your natural intuition and lean!

You are rocking this! RaT oN~!

1. Definitely the red padded seat. Splash of color and style.
2. The second photo you posted, with the seat more horizontal. It matches the straight bar on that cool old Columbia frame!
3. New parts on an old RaT-ina frame = money look! Refer to @Chad T muscle bike builds, he's the king of that look.
4. Muscle bike is in your blood. Go with your natural intuition and lean!

You are rocking this! RaT oN~!

Thanks man! My indecision for direction on wheels and parts is essentially giving me more to do with this build. I have swapped things out a million times already. Today I'm leaning towards the painted rims from the Ladies Stelber. I even ordered a set of tires. I might have 3 or 4 new sets purchased before I finalize them.

I love it with the horizontal exhaust pipe. I like the seats, but they flow so well with the frame that I would pick the brown seat - not to attract the eye like a cool part of the bike per se, but to compliment the frame, like it is almost integral.
But the other seats are very cool as well, it is a tough choice - the white matches the rims, but the red is also very nice.
The position is perfect, I always wanted to see how it would look with seat slammed as close to the frame as possible and now I know, so thanks for that :)

Went back through some of the previous build offs and found two examples of this exact Columbia frame. Looks like I'm missing the tank.

firewing.jpg
fullview.jpg
1950-PAPER-AD-Columbia-Built-Super-Equipped-5.jpg
1956-PAPER-AD-Columbia-Build-Balloon-Tire-Bicycle.jpg

Last edited:
This build is starting to fall into place(in the garage and in my brain). I found the perfect set of excel red line pedals in the pedal drawer. I then started looking at what else I had, just in case... I decided to pull a couple of curious boxes from the shelf. Pedalite!?! You ever seen these?? I bought them because I thought they were kind of cool. I honestly don't think I've ever taken them out of the box until now. THEY ARE MASSIVE!!! UNBELIEVABLY MASSIVE!!! You need to be a sasquatch to ride these!?!?

IMG_5882.JPG
IMG_5888.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG

I experimented with some other accessories. The red horn is definitely a 'no go', but I do like the NOS red sanyo speedo. The colour and style are perfect. I'm not a big fan of putting speedos on bikes, but this one is working for me.

IMG_5884.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG

I went ahead and tackled the bottom bracket assembly. Pretty crusty down there, and my sprocket turned out to be split right through. I rummaged through some bins and managed to find a suitable Murray sprocket with a cleaner crank. It seems that I've accepted the ratty frame with the newer parts look. Got everything all cleaned up, re-greased and put back together.

IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG

During the intermission I threw together a little coaster CCM charger. While looking for parts for the main build, I realized I had enough parts to build a classic Canadian muscle bike. Who knew?

IMG_5881.JPG

Anyway, I finished the evening with a picture from further back. Just like you guys, I'm in heaven in my garage, building and listening to ROCK 107. The hours literally evaporate, and before I know it, it's 2 or 3 in the morning.

IMG_5900.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5898.JPG
    IMG_5898.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 86
That black seat from the red bike is very nice too, would have been my number 1 choice.
These are some cool parts man! Both pairs of pedals are awesome. The red ones are perfect. I have never seen the Pedalite pedals before. As big as a helicopter landing pad, I love'em.
That red tacho is KILLER!!!

Edit: OMG
"Pedals light up on ends and front and back. Pedals are counter-weighted to shut themselves off when not in use. When operated, pedals light up red on ends with a white light shining forward and a red light shining to the rear. Well constructed and durable. Each pedal, RIGHT AND LEFT comes in its own box with operation/installation instruction sheet and parts list. Operate on C batteries "

Last edited:
That is a slice of 'heaven' right there, JN. Hard not to be inspired in that environment!
MuScLe RaT oN~!

Cool to see that you found Firewing as a tank reference. It didn't have a tank when I got it either.
410C6D8E-ECA6-4668-9ECA-A1F28C6C932D-2907-000004BFFF989F30.jpg

Those pedals are HUGE!! They must take four D cell batteries each!!!

The CCM you "threw together" is cool enough for a thread of it's own. Those old Canadians deserve some love, eh?

Yes, my collection has a few CCM's in it. I've been wanting to build a Charger for a while and I guess I have been quietly and unknowingly collecting most of the parts I needed. Showed my buddy pics and he wants to know if I'm selling. I'm torn.

Yes, love your Firewing build!! I'm contemplating painting my chainguard with the raised parts white. I have to mock it up on my computer to see if I like it.

Put masking tape on the raised parts. That way you can physically mock it up and see if it gives you the contrast or vibe you are shooting for.

Well, I decided to go with the painted rims with coaster brake. My desire to add a shifter has been satiated by using one to control my wheel driven powerbell, "the greatest invention next to your wheel." What a great way to "Ring in the Spring". I just had to rig it up with a different bracket and removed the original thumb shift control in favour of my sportshifter.

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 78
That is tooooo cool!!!!! Perfect blend of funky, fun, and coolness!!!

Latest posts

Back