-The Schwinn Cedar - '41 DX - DONE! - More Pics 8/2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a '40? Others on the forums said it was a '30/'31....

The first prewar DX was '39 with a straight downtube. Your '40 has a slightly bent downtube. The '41 bend is even more pronounced. The first Schwinn balloon tire frame wasn't made until '33. Gary

The first prewar DX was '39 with a straight downtube. Your '40 has a slightly bent downtube. The '41 bend is even more pronounced. The first Schwinn balloon tire frame wasn't made until '33. Gary
Well I just went back to my original post asking what year my bikes were, and I must be blind since YOU I'ded this bike as a '40/'41 last year. Thanks again for the refresh.

Spent most of the day yesterday working out a few kinks, getting the front mud flap on, and getting her on the road!
Not sure if the white pedals I have on the bike are the ones I'm going to use yet, but we will see.

Here is the mudflap when I got it from bikesnbuses, (minus blue reflector)

Spent some time cleaning it, scrubbing it, sanding it, still not as clean as I wanted.

Decided to see what would happen if I just rattle canned it white. Painted the back white to see if it would work, and it did! Here is the flap finished and mounted.

Here is a shot of the rear flap, just because.

After I got the chain on and was all ready to take it for a spin, the chain was hitting on of the screws on the chain guard/skirt.

Cool shot of the skirts without a tire.

Took her for a ride around the block. Nothing to complain about, just a few clicks and pops and chain grind. Nothing that can't be tweaked. Here are some shots after my ride, outside of the garage for a change.

I'm not going to use this seat, going to be working a springed nanner seat. Not sure what my plans are yet, but going to be taking apart a broken seat, and using the nanner a posted last weekend. Need to build the seat, and brackets. Lots of fun! Still more work to be done, but I currently have a rider!!

Bryan

Nice work on the flaps. When did you turn the fender around backwards?
Cool looking build!

That makes sense. It looks fine, but you may want to embrace it by either putting some fender darts up there, or mounting something that works with that flare. Just something that shows that you mounted it that way for a reason. Does that make sense?

That makes sense. It looks fine, but you may want to embrace it by either putting some fender darts up there, or mounting something that works with that flare. Just something that shows that you mounted it that way for a reason. Does that make sense?
What are fender darts? I do know what you mean. I may trim some of the heavy rust off off the end, it does look a little funky when you look at it from a certain angle.

I got a few things done one good ol bike this evening. Here goes.
Since I ran the front fenders backwards so I could run the mud flap, it looked a little funky. I trimmed the front fender, let me know of this works or not.

I think the trimming of the fenders makes it look much better. You??
I also got this awesome rear reflector in the mail today from kscheel, I can't wait to ride with or it!!!

Been a long couple of weeks. No time for bike work, had to re roof part of my house, and went camping for a week. Time to get back to the bike!
I decided to add this rack today that came off a rusty '50 girls Schwinn I got awhile back.

I scored this old flash light yesterday at a antique shop...in a restaurant called The Halfway House. Got it for $5, cheaper then my Philly cheese steak I ate! Not sure if it will go on this bike or not, but it sure is cool!

That's all for now, not much more left.

Latest posts

Back