Another Love Letter: BONEEN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:21: Don't miss this chance Furyus!

Luke.

Saved on the computer. Copies printed and placed in the bedroom, kitchen and gloveboxes of both cars. One copy in safe deposit box. Six covered.

furyus

Hi Sweet Baby Doll,

I thought I'd update you on the progress I've made on the Typhoon (scant), but I suppose you could go take a peak in your own garage if you really needed to know.

Let's compare your Slik Chik Chain guard to my Typhoon guard. Yours is far nicer, but that's what I wanted for your bike - as close to new as possible. Mine is dented and rusted and the screen is all but faded away - in other words, perfect for my "rat."

I shot a coat of matte clear on it to protect what's left of the screen (thank you for dropping by Hobby Lobby and picking it up for me!). I also painted my sprocket with the appliance enamel you had left over from your microwave restoration. Here is how the sprocket and guard will contrast each other someday:

Lot's of grime all over this frame. I intend on cleaning it up nicely but not repairing any of the paint damage.

I'm betting this kickstand hasn't been removed since the day it was installed back in Chicago, 1968. I'll clean this up and re-grease it. I did the same for your Slik Chik. If you look close, you can see the number 8308 on the kickstand. I believe that's the Julian date that it was produced on: the 308th day of 1968, or November 3rd.

You need a special tool to remove kickstands from Schwinn frames, or I should say that this tool makes it much easier. This tool compresses the spring in the kickstand, allowing the pin that keeps it in place in the housing to be removed. The smaller tool below the kickstand tool is a chain tool, also invaluable when working on a bike. It allows you to remove and replace links in a chain. I used it here to remove the old rusty chain that came on the bike.

Here's a shot, albeit a lousy one, of the kickstand tool in action. You can see the little pin in the bottom of the housing.

I bet I spent an hour trying to get the front fork off my bike! The headset was rusted badly. I finally did get it apart after much effort, and I'm happy to report that the fork itself, and most importantly the threads on the fork, is undamaged. In this picture, the upper row of parts is the old rusty headset I removed from my bike. The lower row is a vintage Schwinn headset that I bought off ebay awhile back. These bearings will actually last forever if you take care of them. The bearings I removed from my bike are ruined. They probably were never serviced at all in the last 46 years. Your bike has the exact same headset as mine, and I also used a well maintained vintage Schwinn headset in your bike, not a Chinese replacement.

So now my 'phoon frame is completely stripped. A thorough cleaning is next, but again, no paint restoration. I like all the history that the scratches, dings and rust represent.

Unfortunately, my schedule will probably prevent much getting done on my ride in the next couple of weeks. Surely you've heard me whine about that! I'm confident we'll be rollin' around our neighborhood by the Fourth of July, though, right before we grill some burgers on our Smokey Joe.

Affectionately Yours,

furyus

Last edited:
Oh the feels :cry:

Hey Baby Doll,

Can you believe the progress I'm making? And I thought I wouldn't have any time to work on my bike, but wow, was I wrong or what? Don't pay attention to those other builders who are fabricating bicycles from scratch.
I put a sticker on the seat tube. Green and white, part of the theme. Sort of a homage to my years at Harley-Davidson. I did work with a few Boozefighters there, too. Chapter 101 is out of Los Angeles and I believe it's the founding chapter.

Love and kisses,

furyus

Oh the feels :cry:

I made a Metallica fan cry? That's quite an accomplishment! Of course, I can blubber like a baby and I've been a fan since the mid-80's.

furyus

Dear Furyus,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your latest post. I haven’t had much free time. See while you have been off playing in the garage, searching endlessly on eBay & RRB for vintage Schwinn parts, toying around, building bikes, etc. I have been busy working and running the household! (You know I’m kidding baby. You work so hard, I only wish you had more time to relax and play in the garage.)

I think the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club sticker is a fun little accent on your build. (Not that I’m condoning drinking or fighting!) But I’m sure you did encounter some boozefighters while working at HD. You know I had to Google the history of BFMC and was “somewhat” amused by their motto: “A Drinking Club with a Motorcycle Problem.” Interesting that, as BFMC was formed by some guys just home from WWII, they still hold true to their tradition and only allow American or “allied” made bikes.

But the most important thing about the BFMC sticker is that the green and white colors match your Typhoon perfectly, which--as a girl, is all I really care about! So great progress!

Love,
Baby Doll

Last edited:
Good progress and a little history lesson.
Knowing a couple of ww2 vets, there were many good reasons to hang together after they came back.

Hi Darlin',

I managed to get a little bit done today on the Typhoon. It was kinda neat, banging away on the frame in the garage while you were right over my head in the kitchen; I could hear you dicin' and slicin' on the cutting board, getting our dinner ready. I surely do appreciate all the home-cooked meals you make for me, Baby. I've never had it better and I'm spoiled through and through now.

I cleaned up the kickstand and re-installed it. I also installed the Huret Sprint sprocket I had painted white. This sprocket originally came off of a '66 Schwinn Varsity ten-speed, and the little bolts on the sprocket are where the outer chain ring once attached. You know I've been going back and forth on this color scheme, at least aspects of it, but I do think it looks good.

These bits are what allow the pedals to work - just a crank, some bearings and the hardware to keep 'em in place. The crank is a Schwinn bit made in June of '69, I believe, from the numbers stamped into it. The bearings are also Scwhinn and of '60's vintage. Cleaned and re-greased and they're good for another however many years. Too bad we don't make these routine little bits anymore, but that's a discussion for another forum.

Slowly coming together. Thanks for coming down out of your kitchen to give me your opinion on these wheels. I figured you'd love 'em, and I'm happy with them, too. They're Schwinn S-7 24" wheels from the early/mid '60's. The rear wheel has a red-band Bendix hub, which to my knowledge came about around '63, but the last year of painted wheels at Schwinn was '65, leaving me to conclude these wheels are from somewhere in that time frame. Regardless, they do look good with the campus green frame.

I'm still planning on riding with you this Fourth of July, both of us on our '68 Schwinns. Plenty of time on the calendar, but so many other things gobbling up our precious time.

I love you, Baby Doll.

Yours.

love your take on this build !! and I truely have a love affair for old Schwinn , great job so far and good luck !!

Great theme! Baby Doll, how do you like that basket rack? I just bought one and now have to find an appropriate basket for my daughter's yellow '72 Fair Lady. What is yours and where did you find it? Yours is perfect for that bike! If I could find one with yellow like that, I'd be thrilled! And teal for my RRBO bike!

Fury, if you're going for a muscle bike theme, you can read over my build for the Monster Ray. (Link is in my sig) I'm building another one in a girl's version for BONINE. The rear fender is tricky. Felt stopped selling them outright, and you have to order from a dealer, but they are out of stock till October. But I found this place, in case you're interested in doing that kind of fender. https://www.chubbysbikes.com/shop/felt-26-chrome-shorty-fenders

I'll be watching this one!

Great theme! Baby Doll, how do you like that basket rack? I just bought one and now have to find an appropriate basket for my daughter's yellow '72 Fair Lady. What is yours and where did you find it? Yours is perfect for that bike! If I could find one with yellow like that, I'd be thrilled! And teal for my RRBO bike!

I love the basket rack, Crash. It's perfect for securing my NOS Schwinn basket. My husband found it on ebay. This basket was offered by Schwinn in 1968, as you can see here.

I bet they made a yellow basket back then as well. Hope you can find one! (My husband says he was lucky to find such a nice one; I'm afraid he probably paid too much for it.)

Good Luck with your BONINE build!

BabyDoll

Dear Furyus,

I love, love, love the white sprocket and white wheels! They really pop. They are definitely eye catching and somewhat unique. I know you went back and forth between the white and chrome wheels. I’m so happy you “chose” the white. (Especially after I ventured into the “bike part room” (formerly my basement ; ) and made my preference quite clear!

I’m kinda surprised that you saw my note and actually complied! I’ll have to start putting “prohibited” stickies all around the house! Could save us from a lot of verbal disagreements! A “ snacks before dinner” sticky on the fridge; a “ greasy motor-oil hands” sticky in the living room. You get the picture! Heehee. (I think I need to go to Staples today and buy the industrial sized pad of Post It Notes and a big black Sharpie!)

Anyway, your build is coming along nicely. I know you have a few more cool things to add on. Can’t wait to see what you do next!

Love,
Baby Doll

P.S. You know your RRBBO#9 bike’s name is now officially “Boneen”!

P.P.S. I love, love, love you too!

Last edited:
You were right, Baby Doll.

I mean, ahem, you were right, Baby Doll.

The white wheels are really much nicer than the chrome wheels. So yes, you were right.

I'm using some vintage Schwinn Westwind tires initially. One is from '73 and the other is '78, I believe. Made in the U.S.A. Look at those sidewalls, too - no cracking or dry-rot whatsoever!

The wheels and tires and the green and the white are all starting to come together for me now.

Luckiest day of my life when I rolled the dice and ended up with that wedding ring.

Just need a set of grips and we'll be riding on the Fourth just as I hoped. Still have a few small details to finish her (BONEEN) off, but I've got a month to get that done. Easily the simplest bike in the build-off.

I really think this bike is the perfect mate for your Slik Chik, Baby, and you're the perfect mate for me.

Love always.

Yours.

Latest posts

Back