ANGLED TRUSS MODEL No. 112

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with fenders. For paint, British racing green for a vintage look, although I can never find that exact color.

9bce0w.jpg

I can't vote for/against fenders til I know what you're doing with handlebars/wheels/tires etc.... but, based on what you have mocked up in the pics, I'd say keep the fenders. If you end up switching to something more sporting, you might consider removing them....

I'd go with fenders. For paint, British racing green for a vintage look, although I can never find that exact color.

9bce0w.jpg
There is no exact British racing greeno_O Lotus, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Bentley all had slightly different greens...
Clark_1963_Holland_01_BC.jpg

jaguar-d-type-02.jpg

aston-martin-vintage-racing.jpg

bentley-blower-01.jpg

I vote for no fenders, but that's always gonna be my personal preference:grin: I tend to agree that green would look great with the tires. Lowe's carries Valspar's new spray paint, they have some very cool new colors. The tropical oasis could be nice too.
Screen+shot+2012-02-24+at+11.55.45+AM.png

Not a green fan, overused too... but
Ratrods are flat black or tinted primer...
Rattle can it? Flat Black.
Spray gun? Tinted gray primer...maybe with some green.
Although I love tinted purple.
Another classic color not used as much would be burgundy.
You could rattle can it burgundy and that would be a vintage look too.

Carl.

Not a green fan, overused too... but
Ratrods are flat black or tinted primer...
Rattle can it? Flat Black.
Spray gun? Tinted gray primer...maybe with some green.
Although I love tinted purple.
Another classic color not used as much would be burgundy.
You could rattle can it burgundy and that would be a vintage look too.

Carl.
Yea, I dont think I will go with exact racing green, I want of a flat light green.

I vote for no fenders, but that's always gonna be my personal preference:grin: I tend to agree that green would look great with the tires. Lowe's carries Valspar's new spray paint, they have some very cool new colors. The tropical oasis could be nice too.
Screen+shot+2012-02-24+at+11.55.45+AM.png
Thanks! I'm really liking that "leafy rise"

Not sure if anybody makes them...
I got deep v hoops and laced them up with a coaster brake hub for an old build.

Good luck. Love the 1 curved bar on a straight frame.
They're on ebay but around $120 which seems expensive.
go with fenders but shorten them up.
Im not sure what i'll do with the fenders yet but it all depends on where the bike goes from here.

They're on ebay but around $120 which seems expensive.

I'd say so... Built mine for around $60-$70.
I hopped on craigslist and found a pair of wheels with the hoops I wanted then ripped the rear wheel apart. Measured the rear hub and was able to find a kids bike for a few $ that had a coaster hub almost the same size as the original and used that.

Forgot about these... Built these goofy 20 spoke ones for $30. $25 for wheel set $5 for a back wheel from a kids bike.

Turns out there's a lot of people around my area that don't like 20 spoke wheels and they pop up dirt cheap on craigslist.

Last edited:
I'd say so... Built mine for around $60-$70.
I hopped on craigslist and found a pair of wheels with the hoops I wanted then ripped the rear wheel apart. Measured the rear hub and was able to find a kids bike for a few $ that had a coaster hub almost the same size as the original and used that.

Forgot about these... Built these goofy 20 spoke ones for $30. $25 for wheel set $5 for a back wheel from a kids bike.

Turns out there's a lot of people around my area that don't like 20 spoke wheels and they pop up dirt cheap on craigslist.
Unfortunately I've never laced a wheel before and I don't have the right tools. good job on those, I like how 20 spokes look.

Its easy to do. Just be sure to have the other wheel handy to use as a guide.
A spoke wrench can be had cheap at a bike store and sometimes you can use a flat screwdriver on the inside of the rim.
Truing isn't bad either but if you can lace it up go to a bike store to true if needed.

My craigslist truing stand broke so I went back to my old ways...
With the tire off the rim mount it in place on frame; measure the frame at the rim.
Measure the rim; subtract the rim from frame.
Decide that in 2.
Attach a ziptie to the frame and cut to the finale measure.
Now use a spoke wrench or screwdriver to tighten / true the wheel using the ziptie as your guide.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back