How Much Do You Ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how much riding everyone does. I started getting into the bike thing months ago because I was so fat and out of shape and I needed the exercise. Back then a 4 mile ride about killed me. Now I am doing 10-15 miles pretty much every morning and according to Endomondo I logged 81.61 miles this week. I know that is not a lot to some of you but it is definite progress for me. I am doing this on a Giant Simple 7 with ape hangers and a springer front end .

Way to go dad, I ride about 45 a week on a genesis onyx commuting the long way

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I ride every day. Some days, it's 30 miles, other days, it's less than 5. Most days are in the 15+/- range. I think devices and applications that track mileage are great for ppl with specific performance/fitness goals, but for me personally, I'm content to keep my riding simple, even if some of my bikes can get kinda complicated. Still, the only things any of my bikes have that involve electricity at all are lighting systems (I use hub generators, usually.) So, I haven't the foggiest idea re: my yearly mileage. It's very cool that you know yours. You're on track to hit 2200 miles in 2014!:113:

Endomondo is just a smart phone app that has a free and a paid version, I use the free version. There is nothing on my bike that involves electronics other than lights just like mentioned above. In the beginning I silenced the "audio coach" the app has that calls out lap times (each mile ) now I have it on and use it to keep me motivated to try and ride a little further or faster each ride. I am never going to be one of these snobbish rode bike guys I see I ride fairly slow averaging about 7-8 mph and I talk to people along the way, anything from just saying good morning to stopping and having a chat at times. I am trying to get in better shape but it is more about enjoying the ride for me. Still the app provides a lot of info , not sure how accurate it is but it draws a map via google maps of where yo have been, tells you calories burned, hydration level average speed etc

Not enough is right. I live in the country on crappy roads that are dirty and potholed and it's just no fun riding them. I have to haul the bikes in my truck to a place that's got smooth roads...usually Wolf Creek State Park. Gary

Good work. Cycling is great for getting in shape; if your like me and your joints don't like your weight its a way better option than the doctor recomended "take walks".

I don't ride as much as I used that's for sure. If I'm feeling up to it I tend to ride 60+ a week.

I used endomondo back when I was doing single speed time runs when I was working on getting faster.
there was a small group of us guys (10 or so of us) in town that would race; was a blast because there was 2 rules that had to be followed.
1 the bike had to be a single speed.
2 you were not allowed to stand during the race.
It was great because I was the only one not on a road bike.
I used a 2005 Schwinn Typhoon with 700c wheels; I built the back wheel myself using the original coaster brake hub.
I never intended to get into a group like that in fact it happened because I was riding the section of trail they raced on and went flying past most of them and they were impressed and asked me if I wanted to join them.

Last edited:
Not enough is right. I live in the country on crappy roads that are dirty and potholed and it's just no fun riding them. I have to haul the bikes in my truck to a place that's got smooth roads.
Same here...

Luke.

2200 miles a year is quite respectable. Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Endomondo is just a smart phone app that has a free and a paid version, I use the free version. There is nothing on my bike that involves electronics other than lights just like mentioned above. In the beginning I silenced the "audio coach" the app has that calls out lap times (each mile ) now I have it on and use it to keep me motivated to try and ride a little further or faster each ride. I am never going to be one of these snobbish rode bike guys I see I ride fairly slow averaging about 7-8 mph and I talk to people along the way, anything from just saying good morning to stopping and having a chat at times. I am trying to get in better shape but it is more about enjoying the ride for me. Still the app provides a lot of info , not sure how accurate it is but it draws a map via google maps of where yo have been, tells you calories burned, hydration level average speed etc

Oh, yeah, I see that a smart phone app isn't on the bike, but it's about the bike, and I wish I didn't have to bring my phone with me on rides but my job requires that I'm on-call, available 24/7. So, I got my phone on me., but it's definitely a classic/vintage "flip" phone, with only 1 app: Tetris. :crazy: I can definitely see the value of tracking mileage and times and having an eCoach tell you each time you go another mile, but for me at least, I'd rather ride for the experience and the destination, without the electronic aspect. Again, not judging you or anyone else who benefits from that sort of technology. I just avoid it like the plague. A lot of ppl like to eat walnuts, and I think that's cool... but I don't eat'm b/c they're not something I enjoy, personally. Same idea as endomondo, I think...

...2 rules that had to be followed...
2 you were not allowed to stand during the race.
That rule would be a deal-breaker for me. The whole point of SSing is to keep the rider moving; you got 3 "speeds" on a single: Sitting, Standing, and Stopped. Standing is the fastest one... and, basically my favorite.

Everyday. As far distance wise, no clue, the lap around the park/lake across the street is 3.5 miles, I do at least that much every day weather permitting. Very hilly where I'm at, so I can't bring out a lot of the fleet, have to drive down to the national park to use some of them.

That rule would be a deal-breaker for me. The whole point of SSing is to keep the rider moving; you got 3 "speeds" on a single: Sitting, Standing, and Stopped. Standing is the fastest one... and, basically my favorite.

That's what made it a challenge, we would go flying past people that were standing to go faster all the time.

I can definitely see how that's more challenging :thumbsup:, but I wanna be all in if i'm racing....:rockout: To each, his own, I guess.
It was crazy hard to do. Between our races I'd train on my own on the same trail we raced on and would run the same path but where our finish line was I'd turn around and ride it back to the start (made it a lap) so I could build my stamina because we had talked about doing that for our races when everybody agreed they felt up to it. At first it was all I could do to make the lap in 30 minutes because I burned my energy by the time I turned around. By the time I stopped doing it I was making the lap in 12-13minutes. The spot we raced on was about 2.5 miles each way iirc. And was not flat.

I average around 35-45 a week, all on 3 speed stretched cruisers unless I have to get somewhere around town quickly then I pull out the fixie. Carpooling with the wife to work is awesome, my gas guzzling lifted F150 hasn't needed gas in 2 months. Since its $120.00 every time I put a full tank in it I am pretty happy to ride all the time.

I try to ride at least once or twice a week but going to work and being a full time student during the day makes it hard! Plus I'm still running my part-time parts business.

When I DO get the chance to ride and enjoy the sunshine, I try to get anywhere from 15 - 30 miles in. I want to ride MORE!!!

Everyday. As far distance wise, no clue, the lap around the park/lake across the street is 3.5 miles, I do at least that much every day weather permitting. Very hilly where I'm at, so I can't bring out a lot of the fleet, have to drive down to the national park to use some of them.
30 or 40 a week is my guess... got a new phone so I will be checking out endomondo
i ride my bike 4 days a week & i don't know the miles but i know i have rode 45 miles in a day

I try to ride at least once or twice a week but going to work and being a full time student during the day makes it hard! Plus I'm still running my part-time parts business.

When I DO get the chance to ride and enjoy the sunshine, I try to get anywhere from 15 - 30 miles in. I want to ride MORE!!!

Latest posts

Back