Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nightmare story about what transpired last night. I put my son’s bike for sale on cl. This was his first bike, learned how to ride on it, super clean. A person emails and says it's sold that he will take it, but someone else will pick it up, I say ok he says the person can't pick it up for 3 days, I say fine even though other people want it, but first come... 3 days later a lady emails me and I give her my ph number and my address, she says she will be there in 30 mins, I also give her my cell. 35 mins she says she can't find my address, tells me what street she is on, Wrong Street. She says sorry and that she will be there in 10 mins. 15 mins later she calls me pissed saying that I gave her the wrong directions, even though I sent her the directions, and gave her a cross street and landmarks. She says she will be there in 5 mins that she is just down the road. 20 mins later, not 5, and I'm outside with the bike and here she comes. She gets out of the car, she is in her 60's and she is pissed at me because she could not find my place. Now, I live in Chicago and I live off a very well-travelled street and it is very easy to get to my house. She goes on asking me how long I have lived here, that I should know my way around. Now, I'm still being very nice here even though she is, well, a tad nuts. I even say I'm sorry, not sure what for, but what the heck. Mind you, she is picking this bike up for someone else, someone who I talked with who was super cool and very nice. His older son has the bigger version of this bike, even sent me pics. Here comes the fun part, that’s right, this gets far better. So I’m getting a tad pissed at her, but at this point I want it over with. She asks me where the serial numbers are and that point, it was pretty much over for me. I’m a real nice guy, dress nice, etc. I tell her that I know where they are, and if she wants to know, she can look for them. She has no clue where they are. Then asks me for the bill of sale, I say I’m sorry but I bought this bike 4 years ago and have no clue where it is. She then asks me if I stole it and that was it for me. I ask her if she has the 100 dollars, she says I thought it was for 80, I say well after all of this it’s no longer 80, its now 100. I had no intention of giving her the bike at this point; this bike was sentimental to me. She say’s then she doesn’t want, I say great, pick up the bike and head inside. It’s not over folks…. Nope, not at all, she calls the cops, that’s right, the police. I didn’t know this until I looked out my window and there she was talking to the police. I’m like, this is just wonderful. About 10 mins later, she gets in her car and takes off, police are still there. I wait another 10 mins and deiced to go out and ask what is going on. The officer said to me that she called 911 saying that I was selling a stolen bike, one that I admitted to, and one that I was selling out of my front yard. Not in a parking lot, not in a dark alley, my front yard! But then he says to me that after they asked her a few questions, she really called them because I was trying to rip her off by asking 100 compared to 80. I cracked up, the cop was smirking. He tells me that they told her that I can ask whatever I want for the bike. He didn’t even ask me if the bike was stolen, but I showed him a video on my ph of when he first rode it without training wheels.
Now the good part, I get into my house, email another guy who wanted the bike. He comes over 30 mins later, loves the bike, goes off on how his son will love it, we talk about bikes for 10 mins. Happy ending, it’s going to a good home.
The end

@Ldog33 wow got to love people from Craigslist some times huh.
Around here if you post a bike for $100 you'll get tons of responses offering $40-$50 for it even if you put firm in the ad.
Never had anybody call the cops out like that but have had people call and read off the serial to check if bikes are stolen.
Glad you had a good ending tho.

Ldog33, That's is insane, haha. Craziest CL story I have heard for sure. Haha. People are unbelievable. Glad you found a seller worthy buyer though.

I kinda have a similar story with a different twist. I found a bike on CL but it did not have any pictures. I contact the guy and he sends me a very poor quality picture of the bike. On his ad, he says the condition of the bike is excellent and he will not go down. The price is a little high, not terribly high, but if it is in excellent condition, it is worth it. I get there and the bike is a real piece of sh*t with broken and missing parts. It is just a parts bike so I make him an offer based on what the value of those parts are. He looks at me, turns around and goes back into his home.

What can you do other than blame your self for even making the drive out.

I posted this link here a few years ago, and probably once after that. Just wanted to update everyone that this gem is still available. It is at least in its 7th year on CL, as I've had internet for 5 years, and before that I'd see this on CL at the library for a couple of years. Same price, never changes. $350 ladies bike? I wouldn't give $20 for it. Can you imagine the patience it takes to constantly update or relist something for 7 years? And it's always near the top of the list!
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/bik/4651345047.html

I posted this link here a few years ago, and probably once after that. Just wanted to update everyone that this gem is still available. It is at least in its 7th year on CL, as I've had internet for 5 years, and before that I'd see this on CL at the library for a couple of years. Same price, never changes. $350 ladies bike? I wouldn't give $20 for it. Can you imagine the patience it takes to constantly update or relist something for 7 years? And it's always near the top of the list!
Looks like a C.C.M., and i remember you posting before! I can only imagine the person buys and sells used bikes, otherwise they'd give up!

Love the spoke repair job.
00y0y_3VZMgNAoAUf_600x450.jpg

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/4688792771.html

I've looked at this one numerous times myself. I just can't figure what they're thinking.

Latest posts

Back