MBBO Class 2 - ALiEN FiRE - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez you almost make duct tape and zip ties sound bad, for some that's a complete look !:39::thumbsup:
Mark
I can't live with the uni-strut tho. o_O It actually rides and steers nice, hardly any of that "chopper fork" feel. Then my oldest boy, who has about 50 lbs on me, rode it of a curb and snapped the zip ties. :21: But I've actually made some progress on the seat mount. I just need to drill a 1 inch hole horizontally thru the original BB and into the top tube, and I don't have bits that big. I also looked at a unibit...HolyCow! They really like their product, and want you to give them a fair bit of jack to part with one. I hate to pay that for a one time, or at least rarely used item. I guess it's gonna be small hand tools, multiple holes and hand filing. The tricks gonna be keeping it centered, and at the last, bringing it out to 1 inch needs to be fairly precise...

Carl.

Just get a step bit from harbor freight.
They have a 2 pack for under $20 that the large one has 1" on it.
b989eb43746b586739909ecb7d1b08e3.jpg

Just get a step bit from harbor freight.
They have a 2 pack for under $20 that the large one has 1" on it.
b989eb43746b586739909ecb7d1b08e3.jpg
Haha! I just ordered them! Thanx for the info.
Even after shipping they were less than the price of 1 uni-bit!

Carl. :android:

Digging this build. Plenty of cool ideas to steal!

Ok steal away... while yer at it check this out...
I've been watching guys do "lead" bodywork on the TV, how hard can that be? I have a couple spots on the top tube where I removed some keepers for the cabling, that needed some attention. I also found a roll of Stearine solder, the type used on cast iron sewer lines. So I whipped out my hand torch and melted in some lead on my bike. Worked fine. I'm not done filing it down yet but for now here's a starter pic.

Last edited:
I had to really tilt and shoot a lot of pics just to get the patches to show. This shot shows the larger patch in the shadow too. Just got done shooting primer on it and while it was glassy, nothing showed. I'm happy.

Yeah that one spot has to be good,
right on the top tube facing you as you're riding it.:43:
It'd drive me nuts looking at a flaw there.

Melted the lead into the flaws where I pulled the cable stays off last Tuesday... But I haven't done anything else. I'm still waiting on the bits, although they've shipped... I've been tinkering with a seat post and a banana pan. I'll also have to break out the welder to attach a clamp for the post after I get the holes drilled for the horizontal post mount. It'll be nice to be able to sit on this bike.

The "Punch List"...
1. Drill holes / weld the post clamp on
2. BRAKES
3. Shifter
4. Recover banana seat in ALiEN hide
5. cafe seat rear shroud / LED Laser tail lighting
6. Fab a plasma tube mount and a plasma light bucket
7. Fab a battery backed up generator system
8. Double fork springer
9. Front and rear spoilers
10. Disassembly, paint and reassembly

...with a little less than 90 days left.

Last edited:
Where do you buy Alien hide? Or do you "aquire" it "free range"?

Luke.

Area 51 dumpsters. Them darn aliens shed like every 6 months, they just leave it laying everywhere kinda like how kids do when they change clothes.

Area 51 dumpsters. Them darn aliens shed like every 6 months, they just leave it laying everywhere kinda like how kids do when they change clothes.
I can neither acknowledge or deny that last statement...

Carl.

Carl that repair looks great. I might have to try that on my bike. I drilled a few more holes than I needed. When the guy at the bike store told me I needed a boss to mount the cable stops I wanted I told him since I have a drill and a tap the whole thing is made of boss.

This bike is turning out really cool. Love the angle of the fork and the under stem deal.

Carl that repair looks great. I might have to try that on my bike. I drilled a few more holes than I needed. When the guy at the bike store told me I needed a boss to mount the cable stops I wanted I told him since I have a drill and a tap the whole thing is made of boss.

This bike is turning out really cool. Love the angle of the fork and the under stem deal.
Thank You! The lead work I saw on the TV a few times and just thought I could do that... I barely heated the frame and then mostly melted the lead into the area I wanted to fill. I then filed it down after it cooled using four old files I've accumulated, coarse to fine and finishing it off with a sanding pad. It really did work well, and I'm glad I tried it. I won't hesitate to use it again if I need to. As far as the frame and the angles, I've never seen a flipped women's bike that didn't look cool. The stem trick came out of my head...

Stepped bits came today, so I got on it...

The hole on the inside was the tough one...
Here's the pieces test fit.

Then I ground a radius on the black pipe to match the inside of the BB

So I'm gonna tack weld it inside...
and run a bead around the outside.
next step is a decision.

Latest posts

Back