Recent content by Reallybigtim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

Black and white just gives it that vintage vibe!
  2. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

Well I thought I might get myself off of the bottom of the build list, so I have the bike to where I can submit a finished product if I am not able to do anymore to it. I also realized that, after 3 years of owning it, I had never ridden this bike. So I thought it was time to remedy that. I...
  3. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

The main fork of those old Monark springers are almost always bent. So, you can get them cheap. It can really change the whole look of the front of the bike. Plus they made 2 length Monark springers. The girls model is an inch longer because of the steering tube length. That makes it easy...
  4. Reallybigtim

Return of the “Hey, that’s cool!” thread...

I could enter it in class II just for fun.
  5. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

I'm with you. But the 24"x3"s look amazing on a Wing Bar frame.
  6. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

With the springer on the frame, the front 24"x3" tire looked too small because there was a 2.5" gap from the top of the tire to the fork opening. So, I put a 26"x2.35" tire on the front which made the tire sizes staggered (first picture). Okay, the front looks right now, but, for some reason...
  7. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

So far, the 24"x3" cream tires are what I want to go with on this build. I have also been experimenting with attaching the front part of a Monark springer fork onto different stock fork legs (with nice results). It still needs some adjustments, but I think it makes the the bike better balanced...
  8. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

That's why I showed so many wheel/tire options together. I think the 24" tires look the best! The 24"x3" tires measure 25.5" tall and just under 2 3/4" wide on a narrow (1") rim width. They will fit in most 26" frames as long as your wheels are straight and true, and still look fat even on...
  9. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

I have always really liked the look of oversized tires on almost any bike. So my goal was to fit the largest tire I could into a stock 26" frame. Well, in order to get a 3" wide tire to fit in a 26" frame without rubbing, they have to be 24"x3" size or the tires are too tall for the frame...
  10. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

Many of the early boys bikes had very large chain rings which made it difficult to pedal the bike at low speeds. I prefer to use the smaller chain ring (typically found on the girls bikes) to help with acceleration and overall pleasure of cruising. I found this set on ebay. It is the complete...
  11. Reallybigtim

ROUNDING THE BEND

It has been unseasonably cold for the last few days in Ohio. Around 40 degrees F and rainy/windy since the Build-Off started. It's supposed to be 20-30 degrees warmer right now. This is why I do all my building in my den. Throw a work blanket on the floor and and enjoy all the...
Back