Recent content by thom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. T

VBikes?

Yeah, apparently shaft drive. The current owner says solid rubber tires. He, or she, lives near a college campus so I suspect these were rental bikes. I would like to find some more tech info, and parts source for them.
  2. T

VBikes?

These are for sale near me. Anybody know anything about them?
  3. T

A Forever bicycle

Another one I won't be rat-rodding. Picked it up today. Rod brakes, fully enclosed chain, 28" wheels/tires. My first Forever and only my second rod brakes bike. The other is a Raleigh with 28" wheels/tires.
  4. T

Fresh off the barn wall.

The seller said he rode this little Schwinn at age 5 in 1953. It was his brother's before him. He also had this old unknown skip tooth frame. And this unbadged frame. And three wheels/rims. The two end ones are a pair, maybe off of one of the frames shown above?
  5. T

Ratty tandem

I'm thinking about this for the Schwinn tandem, if I can find wheels to match up. What say ye?
  6. T

Ratty tandem

Here's another tandem I've had for several years. It's a Dec '71 Schwinn currently with wrong mismatching wheels. I would love to upgrade it with better wheels and good rear brakes. My Columbia Twosome has a rear drum. I'd love to install one on the Schwinn.
  7. T

Sutton Japanese bikes

Hey, still here, just not lurking as often these days. I never did locate a correct wheel for the Sutton. Have not yet ran across another Sutton either.
  8. T

Ratty tandem

I just picked up this 1985 Columbia Twosome tandem. The tires hold air but the cables are seized and the chains are stiff. Once those two issues are fixed it will be rideable. I plan to restore it. If my wife won't ride it with me my son & daughter-in-law will ride it. I also have an older...
  9. T

Another trike restoration for me

Here's another trike I had stashed. I think I'll restore it next.
  10. T

Unknown (to me) trike

Now that I know(?) what it is, I checked out other posts on here related. I read one saying these are rare. How can that be? What is considered rare?
  11. T

Unknown (to me) trike

Here's a probably not very vintage, trike I picked up a few years ago. It came with two new tires & tubes installed, and a third matching tire & tube but was missing one rear rim & spokes. Fortunately the axle & hub were there. I just robbed a 24" rim from a junk 10 speed and laced it on...
  12. T

Wanna build this

I've found this on the 'net. I think I'll drag out a couple of junkers and build it. I'll post pics as it happens.
  13. T

BIKES with TRUCKS photo

Awesome! I'm going out right now to take a pic of my '49 Studebaker truck, with a bike of course. Here's the '49, still with the original 169 cu in flathead six,and my daily driver '55. The bike with 32" wheels is longer than the bed so it has to sit at an angle. The '55 is on a 1987 Dakota...
  14. T

Repairing holes in a rim

My "new" Raleigh with rod brakes has some small holes, the largest about 1/8" in the front rim. I hope to find a replacement rim but I'd like to do a temporary repair. I'm undecided about the best way. JB Weld? Solder?
  15. T

My first rod brake bike

I bought my first rod brake bike today, this Raleigh. I will need a replacement of or one of the 28" rims. I'm pretty happy with it.
Back