Black Schwinn Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model is it??
Serial number comes up as a 1970 Krate
It is black with a white badge and the chain guard says night hawk
I can not find any reference of a Night Hawk Krate
Any ideas?

7a72036a0e418529ee695a70b51fb67e.jpg
494b9b6139ad7e2f2480e3c44e095220.jpg
a4705832a8f693a1fb363a463ee86c30.jpg

Never heard of any black krates and I'm highly skeptical of it. Of the seven generally accepted krate colors, only five were available in 1970--orange, red, yellow, green, and white. Silver/grey was added to the lineup the following year and purple was used on some re-pops.

I am pretty sure I won't be restoring it and would like to sell it.
What might a ballpark value be as a whole versus parting it out?
It's definitely not in mint condition.

looks like a custom to me

It's probably one of these. The original color of the frame can be found in a couple different places. Remove the cranks and see what color is inside of the bottom bracket housing. Or, remove the forks to see what's inside the head tube.
1971_26.jpg

Thought I'd join this board to add more about this unique Krate. I purchased it years ago from CL. It was originally a Cotton Picker - currently sits in same condition as in pics (safely stored away) with plans to restore back to a Cotton Picker in the next 2-3 years. However, my plans for this Krate also include somehow incorporating and giving tribute, for his imagination, to "The Night Hawk" - who even painted the seat black.

Latest posts

Back