24" survivor .... please help to identify

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

here's my 24" cruiser. Don't know anything about the frame. Is there anybody out there who can identify the frame?

I just purchased the frameset - all the parts are from my collection.

When I got it - first mockup:

24OSBMX_1.jpg

24OSBMX_2.jpg

almost done:
ff1.jpg
ff3.jpg

ff2.jpg

Is it a European or American bike?

The rear dropouts and overall geometry is very Western Flyer Invader...but nothing else is similar to the Invader.

It is also curious that it seems to be without chainguard, kickstand, or coaster brake provisions...which would seem to indicate that it is more likely a serious late 70s/early 80s bmx as opposed to a later dept/hardware store bike.

I'm stumped...whatever it is, its a cool oldschool cruiser now!

Jason

That looks very close...it looks to have a similiar slack seat tube angle as well. It could be, however, that it looks similiar because, as sensor pointed out, they both definitely have some goose styling cues :)

Jason

As long as you love it is the key.

As for trying to ID it, I can't specifically. But I'm going to say it's a mild steel department store f/f made to look like a race f/f. Though I'm looking on a smart phone the welds around the seat mast appear to be bubble gum welds. (Instead of a nice continuous bead the weld looks like a raised ring.) It is unlikely that a race frame maker would use substandard welds if the tubes were 4130 chromoly.

mongoose Motomag frames used chromoly tubes on the front triangle only. Even so, ALL welds were really well done.

With older BMX bikes the welds rarely lie.

Again, I'm looking on a phone. The welds on your bike may indeed be works of art. Any closeup?
Joe

Another indication that it's most likely a department store bike is the fork dropout. Very few BMX race forks had their dropouts drilled for those steel clips seen in your pictures. They've come to be known as "lawyer holes" and "lawyer clips" because both were added to consumer bikes to help stave off lawsuits by parents of kids who got messed up when their kids tried doing things on a bike not constructed for such activities.

I do have a set of 1980 Cycle Pro forks with lawyer holes, but none of the dozens of other race forks I've owned had them.

Latest posts

Back