Anyone know anything about Schwinn bicycles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok. What is the difference between a tornado and typhoon frame? Not the cantilever framed models, but the twin bar styled ones with two tubes running from head to rear stay. Did any of those frames come in 26" size?

Thanks
Lucas

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

The Skipper used that frame also, as did Tornado and Typhoon (in 62 only for Typhoon). Same frames for those models. There were 2 kinds, one has the twin tubes running all the way back as seat stays, and the other had separate twin bars. These frames were from 60-62 I think. They were made for 26" wheels, I think they were also in a 24" model.

If it's a 62 frame, it's either a Typhoon or Skipper, Tornado doesn't show in the catalog after 61. The Skipper has white on the front of the red or black frame at the head tube, Typhoon was solid red or black.

(the Flying Star was another model that used that frame before 61)
If you have a serial number (located on the left rear dropout) check it here:
http://schwinncruisers.com/serial-number.html

The frame with the uninterrupted tubes that go all the way from the rear dropouts to the down/headtube were only made from late '61-'62. Earlier Typhoons, Skippers,etc. used two shorter straight bars that just connected the seat tube to the front., and had separate seatstays. Technically, I think you could qualify the '62 Typhoon frame as a cantilever - the tubes aren't curved forward of the seat tube, but structurally, they do the same thing.
Also, note that these frames seem to have really had an upward swing in popularity/demand in the last year or two. I just bought one myself last month.
EDIT: Also note that these were middleweight frames, and not ballooners, so a 2.125 tire is a very tight fit, requiring a straight,true wheel.

Last edited:
Great info @gowjobs. Exactly what I was looking for. This 61/62 frame is what I'm looking for thanks for helping me figure it out.

Lucas

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Just got mine on its wheels today.
e2ce82a118f5c6f5e19d551e007bdf5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back