newbie recovering a seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not go with what prop makers use... props are not built to last or endure...
weldwood works well if its the red can, not the low voc green stuff.
You can use super 77 but as luke said want to use thin coat eachside, let it gass off then stick.
I use a cheap harbor freight siphone feed spray gun to shoot glue.
They dont market an arrosol to the public because of vocs and there is not a huge market. 3m indeed dose make it but its expensive.
All professional upostery shops and oem manufacturers use contact cement.

Please refer to weldwood intended use... its indeed meant for leather and other fabrics as well.
It works so well on countertops because it sticks to itself so well. It will fail if heavily coated.
Nothing about its structure has anything to do with its use on rigid countertops. They would use epoxy if that was a requisit.

More likely thats barges brand of contact cement.
Anything getting glued not stiched or hung and hog ringed in on an upolstery job should have minimal stretch anyway.
You dont glue things intended to move. Counter intuitive.

Try to understand that 1st and foremost, the seat shape itself is what makes it comfortable, not more padding. The thicker the padding below the cover, the more it will shift around and compress. Then the cover gets more and more saggy and wrinkled. I suggest using closed cell foam no more than 1/4 " thick fixed with contact cement, then put your cover material over that. Open cell foam pads like carpet pad compress and do not want to go back to the original shape. When using any toxic glues, just make sure you are in an open air area so as not to breath it while it is applied or drying. Doesn't matter if you spray it or brush it, it still off-gasses.

Im a guess the barges is not industry specific so is bypassing some epa regulations as far a voc (volitile organic compounds). So it will have stronger solivents like other contact cements do. Itll gas off better. Low voc stuff dose not and is why is bad news.
Id go for the spray. You want even coverag, and stuff in tube is likely the concistancy of gorrila snot, similar to weatherstrip adhisive.
I like spray..

Professional costumers and theatrical prop-makers swear by this stuff. Apparently, it's an open secret throughout their industry. It is supposed to be much better than the common Weldwood stuff you'd get at the hardware store--that formula is intended for rigid countertops, not flexing fabrics.

51Tg5%2B2SsIL.jpg

51SqYzSjFSL.jpg
My buddies shoe repair shop uses Barge to hold new soles in place for stitching.

Latest posts

Back