Specialized FSR.... Done Stamp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Well, what's left of one. Pulled this out of a scrap metal pile today. Only thing holding the broke fork on is the brake cable..

Wife says I need a normal bike for when we ride as a family, something I don't have to worry about getting stolen or that isn't one of my cruiser creations. This just might be the one. I have enough parts kicking around to put it all back together. Pretty sure I have an old Rock Shock Judy, my old 26" race rear wheel and some mismatched fronts to choose from. I have better V brakes but I might just leave the old canti's.

Might have some fun with a name change while I'm at it. This came to mind but my first bike was a Huffy Thunderbolt. Maybe I'll come up with something better between now and when I can put a wrench to it. There are about 6 bikes in line ahead of this one so nothing's going to happen for a bit.

Nice thing about the old Aheadsets, remove the plastic retainer ring and the unit can be totally overhauled. I was hoping to re-use the cantilever brakes but the Rock Shock I have does not have a hanger for the brake cable...

Tore apart the rear suspension, no signs of wear on any of the bushings.

Maxxis 2.4's fit front and back and look nice. Using my old race wheel at the rear, XTR 8 speed, DT double butted spokes with alloy nips on a Mavic 517. Front is some kind of low end straight laced hoop. spins true and gave it a quick repack.

Wrapped it up last night... Pretty happy with the turn out. Could not use the 2.4 Maxxis as the chain was rubbing the side of the tire. Part of that issue was an incorrect granny ring with too much offset, rectified with a Race Face ring I had kicking around. Polished up the anodize on the rims, repacked all bearings. New KMC chain, brake pads, cables and ergo grips. Put 55 psi in the Shock and it feels pretty good. Coat of mothers wax and it's a wrap. Looking at a Tuesday night ride for shakedown.

thanks, I did have to restrain myself a few times. I have some nicer parts I could have put on it but I think by not going overboard I kind of kept it at or slightly above its original performance package level. I would have like to use the old canti's but in the end the integrated trigger/levers and the generic "V" brakes work great and look better in black. Riding around the yard felt pretty good.

Latest posts

Back