Show us your J.C. Higgins Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda new to this forum, and will have to write an intro soon. But, first, my bike.
Well, mine's been motorized and customized, and she barely gets recognized - as a Higgins, that is.
I think it may be a Monark-made JC Higgins from about 1948. But this is little more than an educated guess. If anyone here in this thread can help me out, I'd be truly grateful to know for sure. The first picture is the "Before" pic. The next is the "After". The third is the bottom bracket. The model number is 505 221, and the serial is A0147323. Thanks again to anyone who can help. UPDATE from 10/8/16: I checked out the original crank (I saved all the original parts that I swapped out so, technically, if I ever lose my mind and want to convert it back to original pedal-only bike, aside from the paint I still could do so). On the crank it reads: "560" on one side of the center-section, and on the other side it *looks like* "<R> 27". I don't know if that means anything to anyone here. Again, thanks.
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_004.jpg
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_002.jpg
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_005.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda new to this forum, and will have to write an intro soon. But, first, my bike.
Well, mine's been motorized and customized, and she barely gets recognized - as a Higgins, that is.
I think it may be a Monark-made JC Higgins from about 1948. But this is little more than an educated guess. If anyone here in this thread can help me out, I'd be truly grateful to know for sure. The first picture is the "Before" pic. The next is the "After". The third is the bottom bracket. The model number is 505 221, and the serial is A0147323. Thanks again to anyone who can help. UPDATE from 10/8/16: I checked out the original crank (I saved all the original parts that I swapped out so, technically, if I ever lose my mind and want to convert it back to original pedal-only bike, aside from the paint I still could do so). On the crank it reads: "560" on one side of the center-section, and on the other side it *looks like* "<R> 27". I don't know if that means anything to anyone here. Again, thanks.
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_004.jpg
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_002.jpg
1948_Other_Custom_Red_Don_Minch_005.jpg
Update: I think I found confirmation on my guess of the year 1948. I needed the correct year to get this build licensed in Indiana as a "Class B motorized bicycle" so I wanted to be pretty positive on the year. Like I mentioned above, the bike is badged as a JC Higgins, but the "505" model number indicates that it was built for them by Monark. So I started digging for pics of 1948 Monarks. I finally found one on The CABE of an *original owner* 1948 Monark Rocket. And let me tell you, folks, it is a DEAD ringer for how my Higgins originally looked. I even compared the original ring gear, crank, and chain guard (which I swapped out, but kept) and every part of that Monark matches. Even the paint job. All that's different are the badge and name. That's good enough for me. I'm sure I have a 1948.
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1948-monark-rocket-26-1950-girls-schwinn-dx-1-owner-bikes.8858/

Last edited:
Very cool so when you get it titles will it read jc Higgins 1948? Very cool way to complete a project!!
I think that's how it will read. Here in Indy, they wrote up some new motor-vehicle laws regarding motorized vehicles of 49cc and up. And they put a procedure in place to get a "special VIN" for customized vehicles that do not come with a VIN (like bicycles).

Just had this donated to the stable. Came down from Niagra, NY. I Believe it's a J.C. Higgins. Anyone know what year and what model. Thanks?

210446f48ae7e7cb8dc856c89a126193.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1965 Space-Liner
IMG_9065.jpg

And I have a Ratty Color-Flow in the works.

Here's my 1960 Flightliner. Mostly stock except for saddle.

Attachments

• jchiggins 1.jpg
    jchiggins 1.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 261

Latest posts

Back