I just picked Up a Columbia and I want to know more about it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I went and picked up a bike tonight, its shockingly original. The original owner bought it and built a home made exercise stand and it had been inside his basement since new. It has Firestone Speed Cushion tires on it that look brand new, the original light, and bell. Its a red white and blue motif, and even the bell has the American flag on it. All and all pretty cool and I just havent been able to find anything else like it online. I found a serial Number by the axle in the back A183476

24202_zpsh5o1zwym.jpeg

24208_zpskmoima7i.jpeg
24205_zps3oem8suw.jpeg
VZM.IMG_20161205_214558_zpsvhienwbx.jpg
24217_zpshizfjqoy.jpeg
20161205_214845_zpsv6qbg1aw.jpg
VZM.IMG_20161205_220618_zpsg2oiyvp3.jpg

The serial number dates it 1955. I haven't seen that color combo. Did he paint it? A second look shows it is a custom paint job. I've looked at tons of 55 Columbias and don't see that frame. My guess is that the flat bar was taken out, everything smoothed over and painted. The chain guard and fenders look like this 55 Fire Arrow, as does the rest of the bike, except there's no flatbar.

p1180046-jpg.257970

Last edited:
Im not saying youre wrong, but I dont think the bar has been removed. Usually you see something left over, like a dimple or a funny spot somewhere because its not perfect. Unless the guy was an excellent welder or body man I don't think so. Also the paint seems old and original not thick like it was painted over, or too nice like its been redone. I agree though it seems like the fenders are definitely the same, but the light, bell, and frame look different. Granted the guy could be lying but the story was he remembers it looking that way since childhood and he was born in 1961 and his grandfather died in 1988 at 84 years old. So why would someone repaint a 6 year old bike it should be like new, that seems odd?

Im going to go in the basement and see if i can see any other colors bleed through the chips..

I think it's a speedliner. I would say its a repaint. The seat frame and the top of the seat post look to have been painted, as well as the kick stand, fender braces, etc. The cranks and sprocket are painted silver. The hubs look to be painted silver as well. Not really a big deal though, it's still a nice bike in decent condition.

Last edited:
I think it's a speedliner. I would say its a repaint. The seat frame and the top of the seat post look to have been painted, as well as the kick stand, fender braces, etc. The cranks and sprocket are painted silver. The hubs look to be painted silver as well. Not really a big deal though, it's still a nice bike in decent condition.
I believe you have nailed it. It does look like a Speedliner and it is most definitely a repaint. The white stripes look like pinstripe tape also.

I think youre 100% right on the speed liner. My only other guess was the News Boy Big Mac.

Oddly enough all the silver spray paint came right off with just some brass O polish and all the chrome looks great except the chain ring. It also has a 2 speed hub. Im going to post over at the build forum now

The chain ring is flat, so you can flip it over if one side has better chrome.

Latest posts

Back