WBO 2017 Jan 1st to April 1st: ANYTHING GOES INCLUDING BUILDS ALREADY STARTED!---GO!---

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe... :39:

I'm currently in the process of looking for a new house (rental) to move to, so depending on when that happens, and where I end up (space for building), I might complete my last remaining bike… Sidebolt. In anticipation of moving, I gave all my bikes and parts to another RRBer, @Endlesschain. This is where Sidebolt stands at the moment...

069_October2016.jpg

070_October2016.jpg

Glen.
Been looking forward to the return of Sidbolt, hope it falls into place for you and it happens!
Oh man got two bikes that i been putting off #1is a Colson loop tail 24inch the 2nd is a 1983 Murry have fun and enjoy : go cubs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
:thumbsup:
Good plans Carl!

Luke.

For the WBO I am thinking about building a fixed gear bike to help me learn better pedaling technique. I have a bike that would be a frame donor and some wheels. I need tires, tubes, tall stem and straight bars. I have stems and a straight bar in my junk trailer at camp. I will have to go and shovel the snow out of it to find these parts. The frame has a cottered crank with a Raleigh BB. I have another crank with a smaller chain wheel but I don't know if it will fit. Paint is always a problem for me in the winter. I plan to take the frame and rattle cans into the family rec room and heat everything up by the wood burning stove. Then I would bring it outside and paint it. I will look for a calm 20F day so no snow blows on it. After a day or two hanging in my wood shed I would bring it inside and hang it from the shower rod in our basement bathroom. I am thinking blue paint with blue tires and the rest black or chrome, depending on what I can find. I have extra blue paint from this summer's build off bike. It would be a very quick build, unless I run into problems. The frame and fork will need to be spread. Stuff might not fit? If it won't be an easy build I will quit.

Here is the frame.

For the WBO I am thinking about building a fixed gear bike to help me learn better pedaling technique. I have a bike that would be a frame donor and some wheels. I need tires, tubes, tall stem and straight bars. I have stems and a straight bar in my junk trailer at camp. I will have to go and shovel the snow out of it to find these parts. The frame has a cottered crank with a Raleigh BB. I have another crank with a smaller chain wheel but I don't know if it will fit. Paint is always a problem for me in the winter. I plan to take the frame and rattle cans into the family rec room and heat everything up by the wood burning stove. Then I would bring it outside and paint it. I will look for a calm 20F day so no snow blows on it. After a day or two hanging in my wood shed I would bring it inside and hang it from the shower rod in our basement bathroom. I am thinking blue paint with blue tires and the rest black or chrome, depending on what I can find. I have extra blue paint from this summer's build off bike. It would be a very quick build, unless I run into problems. The frame and fork will need to be spread. Stuff might not fit? If it won't be an easy build I will quit.

Here is the frame.
Winter builds are awesome for bare metal rats. Light waxing to deter rust and if it ends up being so awesome it needs paint, then color can be added after the fact. But like your plan, I've warmed the frame to room temp and rattle cans under hot water and brought it all out to the garage for painting and had good results. I usually bring it in sooner though.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Winter builds are awesome for bare metal rats. Light waxing to deter rust and if it ends up being so awesome it needs paint, then color can be added after the fact. But like your plan, I've warmed the frame to room temp and rattle cans under hot water and brought it all out to the garage for painting and had good results. I usually bring it in sooner though.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...
Good to know, I will bring it in sooner, I'm not sure how long it should be outside. I guess if it flashes over and most of the odor is gone it will be OK. The bathroom has a vent and is at the back of the house so a little odor will be OK. Thanks for letting me know that this worked.

Last edited:
This summer I made the bike frame I posted in the picture above into a road bike for camp. I only rode it about 20 miles this summer. My wife bought me a better bike for camp so this one is surplus. I almost gave it away with several others but could find no takers. I was storing it thinking I would have a better chance of giving it to another bike nut next summer. Then I though why not convert it to a fixed gear bike? Here it is as it is now. It has a coaster brake in the picture below. So I will paint it and swap parts.
IMG_0006.JPG

Alright, we have an empty 3 month time slot at the start of next year, we ran it as an anything goes build-off for a couple of years and switched it up to an offroad build-off last time, which seemed to go down well...

I have been reading through old build-off suggestions and one that keeps popping up is a build-off to finish off unfinished bikes, either from previous build-off's that were never finished or just builds that stopped somewhere along the way before getting completed.

A build-off specially for those builds could be great motivation to get them finished, and some of those builds could be spectacular if they finally got done!

EDIT: Going to run this as Anything Goes, only rules are must be human powered (can have motor but must retain pedals) and must be in the finished area by the deadline.

Does not matter if builds are already started before the build-off, provided they are not a completely finished build.

Luke.

Awesome, I can finish my Pee Wee Herman Bike

Hee Hee , Hee Hee

I was getting itchy waiting to build...
Then I went out in my garage.
WOW! Is it cold out there!

Carl.
:eek:

Having the opposite here, not bad at the moment, but already one fire ban day so far, hopefully not too many once the build-off starts!

Luke.

:eek:

Having the opposite here, not bad at the moment, but already one fire ban day so far, hopefully not too many once the build-off starts!

Luke.
Yep. You're always chillin' when we're cookin' on the main buildoff...it's only -5f today so...like -20c nippy at best.

Carl.

And then again I have this old Huffy tandem,
very flexi when two people get on it.
Might be the better burrito.
0718141720a1.JPG

Plus it's already flat black, and I think I still have most of the parts to put the Columbia twosome back together
Harlequin%20Deuce%20conceptv4.jpg

Now I have to decide if I want an angular build
or a flowing oldschool rat...

I may of just answered my own question.

Carl.

This might be a stupid question but how do i enter just post pics of the bikes ? This is my first time entering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
When the build-off starts there will be a new thread area open up, you can start a build thread there.

Luke.

2 Days and 19 Hours to the start!

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/rrb-wbo-2017-start-01-january-2017-countdown-clock

No need for separate classes this time, this is all in!

Only rules:

1: Must be human powered. (Can have motor as well.)
2: Build cannot be finished at the time of the first post. (We want to see some progress happen!)
3: Must be in the finished area by the deadline to be eligible for voting.
4: Riding photo or video if rideability is questionable.
5: You must have fun.

I already bought a doner bike in anticipation of the off road build off so looks like I'm entering a klunker!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
RaT oN Chad! Looking forward to your klunker! I'll be modifying Mesa Buggie into a 1x6 drive train with old skool Shimano parts from one of my earliest mtb's. And a disc brake, wish me luck!

Hope all is well with you....Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back