Put on my big boy pants today...1969 Fastback 5-speed w/ Ramshorns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure it's that important to me honestly. Since I can't find a definite answer on if one was even made in '69, I'd hate to do all of that only to find it was not even produced. It's still in my kitchen, that way I can look at it without going to the garage (my wife is thrilled).

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it's that important to me honestly. Since I can't find a definite answer on if one was even made in '69, I'd hate to do all of that only to find it was not even produced. It's still in my kitchen, that way I can look at it without going to the garage (my wife is thrilled).

like you were saying before it's not a big deal because you like the handle bars and I'm sure so do a lot of other people. However, I think what you have there is a 69 fastback with Rams Horn bars. Both bikes are very similar, obviously the bars are the biggest thing and like other members were saying, the chain guard would say Rams Horn. Also, from what I can see from the pictures it looks like the pedals were changed, the ones on your bike look like 67 rat trap ones, 69's would have something different. Hope this info helps, if you ever wanted to go 100% original just bars and pedals would do it. Here's a pic of my 69 Fastback, unfortunately without pedals.

Attachments

• 1969 Fastback.JPG
    1969 Fastback.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
First off, nice bike!

For the record, Schwinn did not make the Rams Horn in 69. That said, I believe your bike is pretty interesting because of something I have seen a bunch of times in the past. What probably happened with this one is that the dealer added the bars and pedals to re-create a Rams Horn for a customer. Maybe they had a green one in stock in 69, but the kid really wanted blue. No problem, Schwinn offered so many parts that the dealer could easily accommodate a request like that.

I had a 68 Orange Krate that the dealer had added a front fender to, probably to make it look more like a 69. It was obvious that this was done by the dealer because they used a Super Deluxe front fender, a cad brace, it had screws, and it had been on the bike forever.

My preference is originality, so I'd leave this one how it is.

I have no intention of swapping the chain guard nor the bars, especially if it couldn't have been produced that way. It's pretty obvious that they've been on there forever, maybe even since it left the dealer. I honestly may not have even bought it if it had regular bars, the rams horns are just so unique, I had to have it. Regarding the pedals, the top pic is what is on it now, the bottom pic is what is on my '70 Stingray. I assume the Fastback should have the same pedals as my '70?
IMAG1248_1.jpg
IMAG1249_1.jpg

I can put my entire collection in the kitchen, my wife never goes in there anyway.

It seems that every '69 Fastback on the internet has different pedals, do you have a picture by any chance?

It seems that every '69 Fastback on the internet has different pedals, do you have a picture by any chance?

I have the bow pedals on my 68, 69 and 70 Fastback. Those are correct for the Fastback.

Ooooh lookin sharp already :cool2:, can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back