Tightening nexus 7 grip/ making it harder to shift

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a way to tighten the shifting on a nexus 7? I am making a suicide shifter, and I want a very long stick on it, so needs to be harder/tighter to shift so it dosent randomly move around. Any insight is appreciated as its also my first time working on a N7.

Not sure if its possible with the nexus, but the old gripshift shifters used a small spring to index the shifter for the individual gears, we used to tweak the spring to either tighten or loosen the shifting force required. May be possible on the nexus? If i had one in front of me to play with...

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Maybe you can counter balance the handle to offset the long shifter arm?
Hmm. Maybe pass the stick right through the handle and add some weight to it. But then it might keep shifting back to the middle.. One thing I noticed it how it's alot harder to shift up than down, due to the cable tension. But I can't think of anything to make it more difficult to shift down, yet.

When I think about it, the issue is more of how to make it stay in the middle gears. Once its in a low or high gear the weight of the stick wont matter much, but when it's in the mid ones a bump will make it shift either up or down. The obvious solution would be to just use either low or high gears only:p I could add a sort of bracket on the top tube, just like two bolts the stick can rest between..

This idea I have is more for the visual effect.. Maybe I'll just keep the grip shift on the handlebars, and add this thing just for the looks.. Or to get my idea across to someone who's got alot more metalworking skills than I do..

When I think about it, the issue is more of how to make it stay in the middle gears. Once its in a low or high gear the weight of the stick wont matter much, but when it's in the mid ones a bump will make it shift either up or down. The obvious solution would be to just use either low or high gears only:p I could add a sort of bracket on the top tube, just like two bolts the stick can rest between..
J6599C.JPG
Taking a hint from my 24t John Deere hay baler, there is a curved bar with a slot and detent holes to position the pickup head. A pin in the lever moves from notch to notch and the lever is spring loaded so you have to use force to change lever position.

If you can bolt through the center (where the handlebar would be) and get a large washer to span across the moving shift collar, you could adjust the tension with the bolt in the same manner as changing the tension on downtube shifters (or changing them from friction shift to index for the ones that can be either or). On Retro Rocket, I couldn't exactly do this because I have two suicide shifters on opposite ends of a shared piece of handlebar and, while I could have used two lengths of threaded rod and a connecting nut between them in the center of the handlebar, the two shifters at the ends would be constantly changing position relative to each other and changing the tension in turn. I ended up going with a similar idea as I suggested, but different execution to keep them separate.

If you can bolt through the center (where the handlebar would be) and get a large washer to span across the moving shift collar, you could adjust the tension with the bolt in the same manner as changing the tension on downtube shifters (or changing them from friction shift to index for the ones that can be either or)..
I'll be honest, I don't really understand this:p

Yeah, it's probably not easy to get from what I wrote, so if a picture says 1000 words . . .

I'm not sure if this would work exactly, but here's the idea: the bolt passes through the center of the shifter and out the end of the handlebar or whatever stationary piece the shifter is mounted to. The large washer and locknut on the other end serve to hold the assembly in place and tightening the nut would increase friction in the shifter as desired, much like the D-rings on downtube shifters.

16114269_10154445747763191_4400563700396620092_n.jpg

! Like that! That should do the trick! Thanks, I'll test this out asap[emoji2]

Latest posts

Back