The Capitalist.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a gas mask I got for $3 in a surplus place about 25 years ago. Now the replacement filters cost more than that, but it works! Sure, they have regular respirators, too, but those don't scare the neighbors when they see you come out of the garage. I'm probably on a couple watch lists.

Wire brushes are great, but don't use them over carpet as your feet will become metal detectors with the most effective and painful alert for every stray piece that's thrown. There will be a lot of those wires.

Haha! Yeah I considered using one from the start, but I read some horrorstories about how it would scratch the frame.. The coarse-cleaner wheel was good, but its probably meant for thinner layers of paint. I did get some hefty scratches when I switched to a sander, but now that the paints on, it doesnt show at all. Putting on the clear now, I'll be done today and let it dry until tomorrow. ALso, time to order some parts!!:D

So, I was looking online for an alternative set of wheels to the ones I had originally decided on. While browsing thru a site, I found the exact same wheels I was about to order, but more than 100$ cheaper. Strangely enough, from the same seller that was selling them on amazon... Goes to show you should always check out the sellers website, huh:p Anyway, thats 100$ more in the budget for other stuff! Sweet!

I remember someone on here was saying how some site was ripping them off on shipping...
This is the worst I've seen so far!
shipping.jpg

It's from the US to the EU, but still.. I didn't even pay this much for shipping my whole Electra Ghostrider..

Like others have said, I really dig these frames/bikes and are some of the quality mass produced choppers I've seen.
Really liking the ratty path you're taking this one down.
Keep up the good work brother!
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put on the old wheels, just to get an idea..
20170205_222537.jpg

20170205_222659.jpg

Ignore the copper cruiser in the background, that's pretty much the opposite of this build:p I decided to give it a few more clear coats since I was painting this one anyway.
20170205_222554.jpg
Closeup to get the paint effect on camera.

I wasn't planning on using these wheels for this bike, but seeing how the black rims work with the new paint has me wondering..

Oh, and before you ask; Yes, this is my kitchen workshop.

I'll have the double cheeseburger and a Capitalist chopper to go...

[emoji450]

Nothing wrong with the comforts of being able to work in the house—I rebuilt an engine (Subaru EJ22 turbo) in my kitchen once.

Put on the old wheels, just to get an idea..View attachment 45201
View attachment 45202
Ignore the copper cruiser in the background, that's pretty much the opposite of this build:p I decided to give it a few more clear coats since I was painting this one anyway.View attachment 45203Closeup to get the paint effect on camera.

I wasn't planning on using these wheels for this bike, but seeing how the black rims work with the new paint has me wondering..

Oh, and before you ask; Yes, this is my kitchen workshop.
Love the black rims and the fat black tires with your frame paint. Very rat-isfying indeed!

Love the black rims and the fat black tires with your frame paint. Very rat-isfying indeed!
Well! My idea with this build, name and all, was to make it a sort of statement. Mixing over-the-top flashy details with rust and grime. I was initially planning on chrome 144spoke 24" wheels on it, but it's proving hard to find.. The few places I found that had it don't reply to my Qs about axle sizes. Frustrating. I'll probably just have to order some, wait 3 weeks for them to arrive, measure the axles, and order new axles that take another 3 weeks...xD

Been having a hard time choosing the right handlebars for this bike. I put on some small soft-curve apes I got on another recent find, they work ok, but I will buy a dragbar next week and see how that works. Made a shifter and got the crank put on. The chain is nice and rusty, so wont do anything but lube it. I've not yet decided if I'm buying new wheels or not, but here it is as it stands now.
20170212_225921.jpg
20170212_225932.jpg
20170212_225945.jpg

Now, if I could only find my frikkin tire pump in this mess...

Will you thread a ball shifter on to that rod? Interesting approach to using a grip shifter. Any problems hitting your heel on the back stroke?

Will you thread a ball shifter on to that rod? Interesting approach to using a grip shifter. Any problems hitting your heel on the back stroke?
Ill probably put something on there. Keeping my eyes peeled for a suitable knob. And no chanche of hitting it, no[emoji4]

Check the lighting area of the hardware store. Lamp parts are great for fluted tubes and finials that may fit over the all thread.

Oh yeah, unless you know the size and length of the all thread, I'd probably take it with you.
Can't wait to see what you do next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back