Accidentally got a Schwinn Apple Krate now I'm here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Original 68.
It definitely looks like it will clean up well. How nice you want to make it is up to you. And your wallet. Or wife. :)
You could get it riding and decent cheap. But a full restoration might be pretty hefty.

The correct front wheel will set you back $100-$250. Unless you accidentally bought that too.

Cool find. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

It just need some tires and handle grips to be rideable. Nothing is seized and the back wheel and gears work.

Right on!
If you're close enough to kansas, there's a swap meet in haysville on April 23rd.
I can dig through the stash and see if I have anything to help get you road worthy.

Im in north carolina so thats a bit of a drive for me. If I could find an original atom wheel and front brakes, and a seat, that would be awesome. How do you know its a 68?

Lack of front fender. Shifter style. Wide bars.

Cool thank you for the help. How much is this bike worth in it current condition? Im curious to see if I over paid.

Cool thank you for the help. How much is this bike worth in it current condition? Im curious to see if I over paid.
It varies. But if the chrome cleaned up nicely enough I'd say that would probably bring $200-$300 in parts.
Maybe more.

If I had that bike I'd pull everything chrome off and put it in the largest Rubbermade tub that you can buy at Lowe's and fill it a 3rd of the way up with water and pour in two pounds of food grade citric acid powder (Amazon) and let it soak for 24 hours. Remove the parts and wash them with dish soap and water and the rust would be gone.

Welcome to RRB. Have fun with it, If you want to put it back to it's correct original state,get the front Adam brake rim and superior front tire. It should have the white with red stripe S seat.:thumbsup:

Welcome to RRB. Have fun with it, If you want to put it back to it's correct original state,get the front Adam brake rim and superior front tire. It should have the white with red stripe S seat.:thumbsup:
Thank you for that info! Im looking for those parts now. Im going to try the diet coke and aluminum foil approach on the chrome and see if that works.

and i have not gotten any DM yet haha

I will probably fix it up and give it to the kids unless I get an offer I like.

Latest posts

Back