Will a 2.3"x 26" tire fit in a Schwinn Middleweight?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all, I'm building a 26" Schwinn Cruiser for a friend. I have tubular bmx 26" forks, so front won't be a problem. But I already ordered tires and now wondering if I screwed up. Will 2.3's fit a Middleweight frame? Thanks!

As long as you dont have schwinn s7 wheels your ok

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Might rub a lil bit too.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Running some new alienation 26" alloy wheels. I know a 2.125" fits with breathing room, and hoping since a 2.3 is only about .090" wider per side, it might work. Tires and wheel set are not here yet.
I've run the 2.125 and had room. If the 2.3 needs a bit of space, you can very gently widen the chainstays, but the seat stays have the brake bridge to deal with. You can also make some bolt on dropout extensions to get some extra space.
It'll be close, but I think there's enough room.

Depends. I originally had some 2.2s for the middle weight in my avatar. They rubbed at the chainsrsys. I had to drop down in width. But the tire I went with measured 2.35 when inflated. Not all tires come out to what they say they are.

If you choose a 2" tire, you will have less fitment issues I think. I don't believe they will clear the fenders or chainstays....but keep us advised!

I have a 1958 Schwinn Jaguar frame. One day I had the front wheel off of one of my Electras that has Fat Franks and decided to slide it in the dropouts of the Schwinn just to see. As long as your wheel is strait, it won't rub. No room for a fender though. It will also depend on the width of the wheel.

With my Pacific built Schwinn with 26 x 2.125 I have loads of room around the frame for a 2.3 including the chain. Can't comment on the fenders though since I don't have those on.

It'll probably fit, if you don't run fenders and/or you run the wheel as far back in the dropouts as you can. I had a 50s-era straightbar MW Schwinn with old-style 2.35" Franks (closer to true 2.35" than the newer skinny Franks) on Sun EQ31 rims... and Wald 962 fenders. But, different tires measure out to different widths, and the same tires will fill out differently on different models of rims. Even fenders line up a bit differently between different makes and models. Just remember, wider rims make the tire shorter vertically and wider horizontally.

I just sold an American that I put S2's and some quite fat bricks on....no fenders no problem.I have noticed that when I'm going fast and swerving, the Fat Franks on my Panther will lightly rub. But that's the flex in the frame and wheels I think.
Mostly these responses are not actually answering with concern to the 2.3's though.
And that I don't know either...;)

It will fit. I'm going to do the same thing for BO12. I bought one tire to make sure it was going to fit before I bought the other one. What helps also is if you are using a 26" rim rather than a Schwann S-7 26" rim. S-7 are a little bigger, so a non-schwinn 26" will give a little more room.

We're gong to quibble about 0.05" of nominal tire width, considering how variable actual tire width is, and how many other variables come into play with these things?

I see no quibbling, only discussion on the op's topic...

I will add that the rim you use will make a difference too.
26 x 2.125 can open up a lot larger on wider rims. I'm guessing 2.3's can too.

Guitarl.

Running some new alienation 26" alloy wheels. I know a 2.125" fits with breathing room, and hoping since a 2.3 is only about .090" wider per side, it might work. Tires and wheel set are not here yet.

If your running the stock fork your gonna need a slotted front axle I know because I just put those same wheels on my middle weight porkchop bmx has them for like $7 you'll need the 3/8 26 tpi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mocked up the rim & tire combo and all looks good! I'd say .125" (1/8") clearance per side, tight, but will work. I also cut out the frnder brace, going to weld in a tubular one like bmx style. Also removed chain guard tabs, and the tabs on the rear drop outs, then welded up the gouges in the drop outs. Frame was a lot rougher then original thought, requiring a lot of work before powder coat.

Latest posts

Back