When a crazy idea becomes reality

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wheel carrier is so spot on when mounted next to the side car. I love the way it looks next to the bike.
What is the bushing inside your mounting bracket made of? It turned out great and most of us would be very happy to turn out a quality mount in stainless in 3 hours.

That wheel carrier is so spot on when mounted next to the side car. I love the way it looks next to the bike.
What is the bushing inside your mounting bracket made of? It turned out great and most of us would be very happy to turn out a quality mount in stainless in 3 hours.

It's some sort of htp plastic. I have a couple left over from a previous job where they were designed for the hinge bush in an underwater treadmill.

The frame is done. The sidecar is bolted to the frame.
I loaded it with a couple of sandbags and took it for a spin.
I'm really happy with how it rides :)

20170609_084937_zpsnvd4etaa.jpg

Thank you for your kind comments.

I've had a change of mind on the front. I have decided to mount a headlight up there instead of the nose cone. I figured it needed a light at the front to compliment the rear light.
The light I'm using is a headlight from a classic fiat 500. It's about 4 1/2" diameter and has a chrome trim ring.
I'll post some pictures later.

I made a start on the headlight mounting. First I cut a circle from aluminium and ran it through the bead roller

20170613_085341_zpsi0sib1ov.jpg

as the edge folds up it starts to crinkle and needs to be shrunk

20170613_085406_zpsd11pv6vv.jpg

this pinches the edge together to remove the waviness of the edge. I have to flit between the two machines until it's as I like it.

Then it's a matter of tidying it up with a "slapper" and a suitably shaped block

20170613_090443_zpsatqrkj5t.jpg

The "slapper" is actually a piece of a car leaf spring carefully shaped so it has a slight convex surface.

I made the rear light mounting in a similar way. However after I had welded it in to the lower panels I fitted the top rear panel to check for fit. It was then that I noticed the top panel didn't fit as well as it did. If I forced it into position it would pull the sidecar out of shape in a kind of non-healthy lopsided way! Ah.

The solution, for once, didn't involve a large hammer!

20170620_091053_zpsebrhtc9c.jpg

See now, this is why I like metal. If it goes wrong, just weld a bit more back on! lol

Oh and I've decided that I don't like the headlight chrome rim.it was too big and looked like a pigs snout! So I've decided I'll just make my own...

Wow mad skills & a awesome shop has turned out a magnificent piece of rolling art.
Great Job man it's one of a kind cooool for sure . It makes me think of someone else similar & unique also . I will share the video with you . Maybe you have seen it or maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back