MBBO#06 Class 2: As yet unnamed... (Maybe: Monkey see, monkey do?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been slacking...

Not much to show...

Spent the last 6 months or so swapping gearboxes, rebuilding carburetors and building exhausts...

My work area looks like this:

2017-09-02 17.23.20.jpg

Only started thinking about what I could possibly build yesterday...

No crazy drive systems planned, no motorcycle or car wheels and tires either...

But all is not lost! I have the beginnings of a plan!

I am aiming at an early Muscle Bike / MX crossover style build, muscle frame, ape hangers with a cross bar added for stability, knobby tires, number plates and a banana seat.

Wheels from this:

2017-09-02 17.21.58.jpg

Curved tube for the downtube from this:

2017-09-02 17.22.31.jpg

And the Kenda Small Blocks from this pile of new 20" tires:

2017-09-02 17.35.33.jpg

Still plenty to work out: Maybe a looptail rear that becomes the dual top tubes? Skateboard banana seat?

I haven't been this unprepared for an MBBO ever!
No drawings, only a rough plan... This is going to be fun!

This is a first for you, for sure! I've been planning my daughter's bike for a couple years. I've only finalized plans within the last year.

Am I the only one who plans out a couple years in advance? It takes me that long to find parts sometimes. Of course, my straight restorations are much easier to plan for: Step 1: Make bike look better. Step 2: See step 1.

This is a first for you, for sure! I've been planning my daughter's bike for a couple years. I've only finalized plans within the last year.

Am I the only one who plans out a couple years in advance? It takes me that long to find parts sometimes. Of course, my straight restorations are much easier to plan for: Step 1: Make bike look better. Step 2: See step 1.
Yeah, I'm running this one pretty loose!
I got pretty focused on getting the Project Car to where I want it, so didn't spend days and days planning like I usually would.

I do have a few plans in my book for big complicated builds, but I'm just not feeling like doing them at the moment, going to take this MBBO a bit slower and more cruisey, try and enjoy my build and watching the other builds more... ;)

My goal this year is early completions. I had a photo opportunity for my Huffy that's at the end of October, so I have to stay focused for that deadline. In order to get the money I need for that bike, I need to sell the Fastback, so I have to stay REALLY focused on that deadline!

If I get both done before November, I can probably whip out one more, but we'll see.

My goal this year is early completions. I had a photo opportunity for my Huffy that's at the end of October, so I have to stay focused for that deadline. In order to get the money I need for that bike, I need to sell the Fastback, so I have to stay REALLY focused on that deadline!

If I get both done before November, I can probably whip out one more, but we'll see.
I have a feeling that if this one comes together quick, I may start another...

No bike progress today, but I did clear the way and set up the build jig:

2017-09-02 22.15.33.jpg

This will be the first proper bike built on the jig, only built a test mule before, but it came together quick and dead straight, so I am expecting good things.

Don't tell me you've adopted my strategy... Wait, wonder and wing it. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Carl.
No, just catching up on yard work that got ignored over the winter, plus I have a house to spring clean, so nothing is happening yet...

C'mon man, you at least have a cartoon or some kind of scribbled idea going... Show us the blueprints!

Carl.

C'mon man, you at least have a cartoon or some kind of scribbled idea going... Show us the blueprints!

Carl.
Honestly, I have nothing, no blueprints, no drawings, not even a sketch...

No motivation either if I am honest. Tried to get into it today, dragged the donor frames over to the workbench and then decided I couldn't be bothered to go any further.

Motivation is tough for a bike that I usually can't ride.
For one thing I've yet to find a real muscle bike really worth restoring in my area. But on the positives I do like seeing a couple builders here that rarely join in the other build offs, and my first build here was in a MBBO... and then there's the loopholes...

Carl.

No motivation either if I am honest. Tried to get into it today, dragged the donor frames over to the workbench and then decided I couldn't be bothered to go any further.
:confused:
Lets do this ! :cool2::rockout:

Boy, have we all had days like this. that's when I usually get set up, and then just stare into space, thinking of other things, usually things like what I'm going to do with the other three half bikes leaning against the house in the back yard. Then, I pack it all up and go 'well there's a couple more hours of my life that I'll never get back". :21:
You'll be on it Luke when the juice starts flowing again. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back