Saddle suggestion?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this same style of seat on a few of my bikes... And they look great... But they ride horrible!!!:bigsmile:

Any suggestions for something more comfortable that will still work with "the look" of the bike?

Thanks!
62617_4a5a9b84acf925df7235bd24e850d955.jpg
62618_3e0f29f313fa45eccc2a59faf1e9bb84.jpg
IMG_20170805_120043.jpg

My favorite is Electra XL. Done many hundreds with it, it is extremely soft and comfy. You can try swapping the springs with the ones you have if you like, may be it would be a nice result, but the pan shape from Electra is surely awesome.

You might try fitting the undercarriage to a roadie saddle that has a bolted undercarriage.
Not sure I'm following you.
I think the undercarriage is actually the issue with this saddle... It doesn't have any"give" to it at all. The shape of the pan isn't really where my comfort issue lies

My favorite is Electra XL. Done many hundreds with it, it is extremely soft and comfy. You can try swapping the springs with the ones you have if you like, may be it would be a nice result, but the pan shape from Electra is surely awesome.
I think the springs on the one I have are actually the issue... They don't have any "give" to them. I do have some Electra saddles that are very comfortable... But I don't think they are the xl

I've got 3 Leppers on 3 different stretch cruisers and they work for me. I like the Brooks as well, but new ones tend to be a bit pricey. I've also had good luck on my more "normal" bikes with the $30 Becoz Saddle from Selle Royale.
seat.jpg

I'm a big fan of Brooks B17, but recently tried an Aged B67/B68 on Interrobang (it's a B67, which is a B66 with a different mounting frame, but I changed to a springless B68 frame as they discontinued the B68). So far, I've found it to be extremely comfortable with no break-in required and that's without the springs.

13221365_10153767282903191_7083822402710956917_o.jpg

Get a Brooks; pick your flavor. Knock-offs by Gyes are half-decent, too. This might be a good time to ask yourself, ¨do i really need springs?¨ B/c, for me personally, I much prefer the unsprung saddles.

Where do y´all get Lepper saddles from? Every time i see them offered online, they´re asking basically Brooks prices for them anyway.

Watch out for Cardiff, though! I got a B17-like one for a steal (usually not much cheaper than Brooks), but it's hard as a rock with no signs of softening even with multiple applications of glove softener because there's a kind of fabric glued to the underneath that seems to block anything from getting through and I painted the top, so I only have access to the bottom. Maybe you wouldn't mind it, but I thought I'd put out the warning.

AFAIK, Gyes makes the saddles for Cardiff and Velo-Orange. I agree, the leather is harder than Brooks, and it definitely has the weird fabric-ky stuff on the underside. I guess the pros are, it´s more weatherproof than Brooks and they don´t have the same break-in period. The cons are, they aren´t as rad as Brooks and, although they totally ripped off the look, the feel is considerably different. A friend gave me one, thought, and it´s done me fine...

Latest posts

Back