Tyranny & Mutation / '36 Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in. Just scored what was described to me as a 1936 Silver King, frame only. I've stuck a fork, bars and some wheels on it for a quick mockup and to make sure the 26" wheels would fit.
IMG_20171217_173528_725.jpg

Now I can finally start polishing it... While I source some more parts for it. So far I have a 3CC hub on the way, and I have borrowed an idea for a leaf springer seatpost for it... I'll probably be building a fat/skinny tire dragster style. It's what I like to ride.

GuitarlCarl.

It's -7f outside and the dinky little space heater I have isn't worth plugging in my garage... So I'll probably do a lot of the work on my bike right here in my living room.
KIMG1685.JPG
seat post.png

So here's my first draft (above) of a seat post (below) I saw online... Big difference is mine will need a bolt and wedge nut to tighten it in, as aluminum Silver Kings have no seat clamp.
seatspringer.jpg

So it's toasty inside here, ya'all stay warm.

Carl.

Last edited:
Building by the fire, sounds like a WBO thing.

Interesting seatpost! Narrow leaf. Does the leaf have much give or bounce??

Building..... Riding.....

Building by the fire, sounds like a WBO thing.

Interesting seatpost! Narrow leaf. Does the leaf have much give or bounce??

Building..... Riding.....
I have no idea. I've yet to build one. I hope it's fairly stiff, I'll need mine to be a bit bigger than the one I saw online (and reposted) I've got a Ranger parts truck I'll be taking a chunk of spring from. Probably narrow it a bit. The tough part will be balancing a cool look and leg room. I'd like to be able to cruise comfortably and I need about 30" from center of the BB to the top of the seat to accommodate my long legs. That puts the top of the seat about 6" above the center of the rear tire, just forward a bit... I also don't want too much stress on that seat tube either, so the whole thing may evolve into a 3 point attachment incorporating a bolt on rear stretch and on and on the ideas just keep mutating...

Carl.

Last edited:
Guitar Carl and a Silver King, I'm definitely tune into this !

Guitar Carl and a Silver King, I'm definitely tune into this !
Thanks little brother! For me the defining detail will be if I can get the tubes anodized a copper/ bronze. I've never seen it done to a Silver King, so it's a mutation I'm hoping I can pull off.

Carl.

I remember building one of those for a build off..It was a woman's bike. I called it "Silver Kween". If I remember correctly the seat post was like a quill stem...Had to make one.....Looks like it's going to be a kool build!

I cheated and did my the easy way....Bead blasted it. I'd show you a pic of the whole frame, but you'd have to wear sunglasses.

Even if you anodize, you'll probably have to get it clean first.

021.JPG

I cheated and did my the easy way....Bead blasted it. I'd show you a pic of the whole frame, but you'd have to wear sunglasses.

Even if you anodize, you'll probably have to get it clean first.

View attachment 68595
I am definitely cleaning it up first, as I've yet to talk to the chromer/plater guy my friend knows... but I haven't gotten seriously into it yet. Just some trial and error swipes with a few kinds of paper and pads to see what works best, out of what I have on hand.... I'm also going to be bringing it up to the LBS. I need some headset bearings, it seems to be just a bit smaller than all of what I have on hand, but it's still a 1" headset.

Carl.

Dig the concept, and the name
1f579e3aecaf3408b5789c429433e38e.jpg
I've been toying with the idea of having a set of DecoDiscs made with the album cover on them. Just for the rear wheel mind you. So I suppose I'd have a spare set cuz they only do pairs...

Carl.

How about gold transparent powder coat? You could mask it with high temp masking tape.

Here's a google image of transparent powder coat over polished aluminum.
24838892_319172395262879_7719098499215654912_n.jpg
Now THAT is a good idea, and it'd probably be tougher and wear better... something new to look into.
Thanks RenMan.

Carl.

Anybody know if a bellcrank from an older Shimano will work on a 3CC hub? Got my hub today from @rcsnipe2000 (Thanks Bro!). All it needs is the bellcrank and an old one I have fits... But I wonder about the actual shifting...

7443dbf9bffa0efa8513b04b280e4b04.jpg

Carl.

Hub fits the frame with virtually no spreading. I'm so happy.
95fc7876fd88a31786a55aca84c0445c.jpg

Now to find the rim I want... 57mm. So I can get to lacing.
Going to have to source a shifter too! For not too much jack.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back