Leg Day, resurrected

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the two tune bud! Good color choice and break lines for the colors.

The paint is Dupli-color Perfect Match from Autozone. For years I've wanted a blue/charcoal grey bike and decided this would be the bike I'd try it on. This will also be the first bike that gets black tires. I don't feel that whitewalls are gonna be right for Leg Day.

I haven't been updating this as well as I meant to, but here's what I've done in the past few days. Swapped parts to get a seatpost and seat that fit the frame, made a shim for the gooseneck out of a razor scooter handle, and made a shifter post out of a mountain bike bar end. Leg Day is now functional, I rode it home from work. There's still cosmetic touches to be done, but I'm happy for right now. Let me tell ya, the Nexus 7 is the only reason I was able to ride home. In first gear, it felt like an average cruiser.
tmp_16343-IMG_20170425_192359-471973674.jpg
tmp_16343-IMG_20170425_192419-1005777565.jpg

Looking for some community input. I know I want blackwalls on this, and instead of going full balloon on it, what about 1.95 or 1.75? The general trend is fatter is better, but with the big chainring on it I wonder if thinner tires would let the chainring draw your eye. I think it was Atomic Zombie that built a "roadbike from heck" that was long, low, and just looked dangerous with a big chainring.
Edit- ok, I was wrong about Atomic Zombie's bike; it was called "Tour de Heck"(basically, gotta love filters) and did not have a big chainring. Still a seriously cool ride though:
th020a.jpg

Last edited:
I think both the Evans squared off fenders and that bullet like chainguard would look great on Leg Day

Man this thing came out great! Really dig the stance on it!

Rather then goin skinny on the tire, have you considered changing the rear cog? You can get them as big as a 23 tooth. That would make the direct ratio more towards the middle of the 7 speed, while still giving you lower and higher gears. I'm running a 65T chainring on a single speed with a 22T cog out back and it cruises great. Feels similar to a 46/18 or so.

And I agree with Kingfish, Those squared fenders would look killer on it!

Long time, no update. This has been at a standstill, though rode quite often, for a long time, but I finally got the next parts for Leg Day. Thanks to @kingfish254 I just picked up a set of 3G rims. They're the wrong color, but that can be fixed. They'll be laced to the hubs already in use, I hope the spokes will still be the right length with the wider rims. Pics posted after the re-lace.

Man this thing came out great! Really dig the stance on it!

Rather then goin skinny on the tire, have you considered changing the rear cog?
I took your advice and swapped out for a larger cog, probably a couple days after you made the suggestion. It's great, I ride it to the convenience store or work now and then.

Can't wait to see those rims on this.
Glad to pass the deal along.

Wow great looking stretch on that frame. Remember this from a BO a while back. Bike looks cool but interested to see where you take it with the new parts. Chain guard looks like it might be a good fit.

Wow great looking stretch on that frame. Remember this from a BO a while back. Bike looks cool but interested to see where you take it with the new parts. Chain guard looks like it might be a good fit.
I ended up selling the Evans as a complete bike a while ago. I don't have a problem with parting out a rough bike, but I like to see them go intact when I can. It's not as flashy, but I have a NOS Wald chainguard I can put on it.

Sooo... I have no patience. Instead of being sensible and waiting until I have the new rims repainted, I went ahead and laced them up to the Nexus 7speed already on the bike. After I get back from my upcoming road trip I'll get it done proper.
IMG_20180404_180106.jpg
IMG_20180404_180121.jpg

Latest posts

Back