Mad Max bmx for my kid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boy, who is nine wanted a Mad Max style bike so I figured, why not?
I started putting this together awhile ago. I had seen a Mongoose frame on the side of the road that had been smashed up. The crank, forks and handlebars were bent from being stomped on. So I took it home and took it apart. I bought another no name brand bmx to use as a parts bike for the messed up parts.
I sandblasted everything and just polished the bare steel with a wire wheel on a grinder. I do not mind if it rusts. I made a skull to go on it too. For the brakes lines, I threaded the cable through some flexible metal conduit. I wrapped it to the frame with wire. I think it is starting to look good. But My intention is to put fenders on it and some other stuff I find lying around. Yes, I know bmx's should not have fenders. I figure the boy will eventually crash hard enough to break the skulll, so I still want the bike to look cool without it. I will work it all out eventually....
thumbnail_20180415_123947.jpg

thumbnail_20180415_124008.jpg
thumbnail_20180419_161332.jpg
thumbnail_20180419_161346.jpg
thumbnail_20180419_161402.jpg
thumbnail_20180419_161413.jpg

Very cool! A small tank with edges made out of sheet metal would look cool on it! Fenders with edges would look cool on it as well!

Love the skull and brake lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I guess I will call this finished. I think it pretty well speaks for itself. Nothing fancy. I did have a heck of a time with getting the chrome fenders to match the bare steel.
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Empty old light thing is filled with a couple bike parts.
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG

A Cadillac logo? Why not?
IMG_1599.JPG

And The Boy.
IMG_1603.JPG

Like it or hate it, I think it will be the most recognizable bike in my town.

Last edited:
So I guess I will call this finished. I think it pretty well speaks for itself. Nothing fancy. I did have a heck of a time with getting the chrome fenders to match the bare steel.
View attachment 73827 View attachment 73828
View attachment 73829
View attachment 73830
View attachment 73836

Empty old light thing is filled with a couple bike parts.
View attachment 73831 View attachment 73832 View attachment 73833

A Cadillac logo? Why not? View attachment 73834

And The Boy. View attachment 73835

Like it or hate it, I think it will be the most recognizable bike in my town.

Cool bike! I would’ve loved this bike as a kid.

You’re little dude is going to have some strong legs in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one rad creation! Leather grips and a seat cover of reclaimed materials would cap it all off!

Thanks everyone. He likes it of course, but my wife thinks it is a death trap. She says it needs a small sissy bar on it to keep him from,,, the bolts. She is probably right. I mocked one up and it doesn't look bad. I will weld it up soon. Or I could cast the bolts in rubber... But I don't like that idea. Safety sucks.... :)

A spiked flail you say? Like this one?
attachment.jpg

I made that awhile ago. All welded stainless steel construction. Except the chain is zinc covered mild steel. It is made from 2.5" nuts and a spare 5" SS pin that I added the pointy bit to. The chain is fully captured by cutting smaller nuts in half, putting a link on the inside and then welding that to the handle and the nuts respectively.
But... this is too dangerous for The Boy and for me as well. It is heavy and honestly pretty scary to swing around.

Latest posts

Back