Seeking Best Seat Clamp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting the finishing touches on my 1961 Schwinn Klunker.

It has the obligatory Brooks seat/saddle with a repurposed clamp. And like many bikes before, the seat won't stay put. It tips front to back.

I use a clamp similar to whats pictured here. I know by now never to use clamps with stripped teeth, they won't hold. I tried external-toothed washers which didn't work. Is there some technique or type/brand of clamp I should be using? I'll purchase new if one clamp stands out as best.

What seat clamp holds a Brooks saddle firm - no movement - on a seat post?

61schwinnsmall.jpg
clamp.jpg
toothwasher.jpg

Last edited:
I use brooks guts with my brooks saddles. the b72 you have pictured has a 'double rail', and the guts/clamp you have pictured does not.. I would seek out guts made for a double rail saddle.
Also, what seatpost are you running? if its an aftermarket post, the top is likely 7/8" and thats fine. If its a solid post, or doesnt 'flare' at the top, it is 13/16'' and would need a shim. Or, if its the OG post, the top would be 5/8'' and the clamp pictured is way too big for it, and wont tighten down properly.

QUOTE="Dizzle Problems, post: 1085662, member: 25228"]I use brooks guts with my brooks saddles. the b72 you have pictured has a 'double rail', and the guts/clamp you have pictured does not.. I would seek out guts made for a double rail saddle.[/QUOTE]
I made a mistake. The clamp photo I included above was wrong. I am using a double rail clamp on this B72 and the seat is slipping. I have three other completed bikes with same set-up and have always have a problem with front-to-back slippage.

I'll try a Brooks clamp as you suggest yet was hoping I could find a strong 'generic' clamp (double-rail) as most of the saddles I get are from fleaBay and come without clamps..

Also, what seatpost are you running? if its an aftermarket post, the top is likely 7/8" and thats fine. If its a solid post, or doesnt 'flare' at the top, it is 13/16'' and would need a shim. Or, if its the OG post, the top would be 5/8'' and the clamp pictured is way too big for it, and wont tighten down properly.
All four bikes are Schwinns with 13/16" posts. I basically match a post I've scrounged to a clamp I've scrounged. OEM posts are inserted into the frame correctly or upside-down to match hole on the clamp 'strap' where the post inserts. In 4 bikes, 2 are aftermarket 13/16" posts and two are stock.

Are you saying the clamping of clamp-to-post (your suggestion of shimming) effects the tightening/holding power of the clamp-to-seat? Seat does not swivel side-to-side on post, only front-to-back on clamp.

Thanks Dizzle Problems.

doublerail.jpg
[

Last edited:
I made a mistake. The clamp photo I included above was wrong. I am using a double rail clamp on this B72 and the seat is slipping. I have three other completed bikes with same set-up and have always have a problem with front-to-back slippage.

I'll try a Brooks clamp as you suggest yet was hoping I could find a strong 'generic' clamp (double-rail) as most of the saddles I get are from fleaBay and come without clamps..
Ah cool. I have used the generic one you posted before, but not on a brooks. But don't see why it would make a difference.
You could try filing the grooves in the 'teeth' to make them a lil stouter. I had a different style strip on me in the middle of a 8 day trip. I filed the groves a lil deeper and had no more problems/ slipping the rest of the trip.

All four bikes are Schwinns with 13/16" posts. I basically match a post I've scrounged to a clamp I've scrounged. OEM posts are inserted into the frame correctly or upside-down to match hole on the clamp 'strap' where the post inserts. In 4 bikes, 2 are aftermarket 13/16" posts and two are stock.

Are you saying the clamping of clamp-to-post (your suggestion of shimming) effects the tightening/holding power of the clamp-to-seat? Seat does not swivel side-to-side on post, only front-to-back on clamp.
So the clamp pictured is designed for a 7/8" clamping area. If you are clamping it to the straight 13/16 post, this can cause issues. For instance, I made custom solid aluminum 13/16 posts, and a shim is necessary for the seat clamp.
As seen here-

http://porkchopbmx.com/wald-905-stem-or-seat-post-reducer-bushing-shim-13-16-to-7-8/

Since I like B72s, I think I should buy a few new double-rail clamps (fresh teeth) to have on hand... and I need to pay closer attention to the used seat post I'm pairing the clamp with.

Dizzle Problems, thank you very much for you help and the link.

Since I like B72s, I think I should buy a few new double-rail clamps (fresh teeth) to have on hand... and I need to pay closer attention to the used seat post I'm pairing the clamp with.

Dizzle Problems, thank you very much for you help and the link.
B72’s are my fav as well. Glad I can help.
I believe sunlite makes an inexpensive double clamp generic.

Latest posts

Back