RRBBO13 Cheep Teena- Completed! Tons O Photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed ^. A good undercoat is the aluminum flashing paint made by Rustoleum too. It's usually brown or reddish brown, and holds up well, covers well.

The autumn brown textured rustoluem makes a pretty convincing fake rust, but I recommend spraying it over red primer or some sort of flat brown. It doesn't seem to get much coverage out of a single can otherwise.
I actually sprayed everything flat black first. Then the texture, then random sprays with the black and red oxide and more texture while it was wet. More on that coming soon!

Nice work on the cheeptina fauxtina

It’s all part of the quest to make something extraordinary out of run of the mill stuff. One 80s cruiser, some 100th anniversary parts, a few new parts from a fellow RRB member, and some rattle cans. That’s really about it!

Last edited:
Here’s the round up of all the “rust” parts. By the bottom they have a couple coats of matte clear on them to try and keep the texture from flaking off. Makes it a little darker, too.
15CAE9ED-ACC4-4C19-BD35-2C42E5380406.jpeg
5643E6EA-B389-41E8-BEEF-4ACDE738E34F.jpeg
My $20 red stripe hub. Again, nice but run of the mill stuff.
34D8D6A5-1390-4E9F-884C-09C10B3857CB.jpeg
Even though I painted a lot of parts “body” color, there were still a ton of parts to be treated.
C51574B8-1CBC-4FF6-9C90-DE800FEDC362.jpeg
Springer parts, brand new seat assembly, kickstand- nothing going on the bike was left untouched.
9E0FFBF4-CB92-40E0-B56F-E916B2C5A070.jpeg
Assembly pics next!

If you had more time, you could have just shipped them up to me and I could have left them outside to genuinely patina for free! (Of course, shipping would cost more than the paint, but that kills the joke, such that it is.)

Looks pretty legit from the photos.

5351C82C-EDA3-4235-BF04-E22F184DCDAF.jpeg
Once I got all the parts caught up in the patina department, I hung everything back up for the final time for a few coats of matte clear. I wasn’t sure how all the different paint was going to react but the clear went on with zero incident.
9801E5E6-2080-4706-A275-85D812DBF7BD.jpeg
While the clear was drying I started putting together any parts that I could. Here’s the front hub and pedals. They’re not vintage but look the part pretty well. More stuff soon!

Finally some assembly. It was a lot longer, lot slower process than with chrome and powdercoated parts. The paint will come off a lot easier. I taped some parts off and used the wire wheel on the grinder to make things fit better. All the OG Schwinn bearings and races were polished and greased up.
C9337753-3606-440C-9F14-CD639E366EEA.jpeg
Things went together pretty quickly with all that prep. I seem to assemble backwards compared to most of you, lol. I will add a lot of little detail shots later this week, but you can kind of tell that I even patina’d my brand new seat.
9F51F55D-AA88-4198-98E3-F3E20EB7F779.jpeg
This is where I finally felt like my plan was going to work. You don’t get a ton of encouragement when you tell people that white, black, red, and rust are the colors you’re using. Unfortunately, at this point it was getting dark the night before my event, where this bike would be ridden 10 miles. So I didn’t really get too many more photos. But this week I will show all the little details and a build sheet, as well as some shots from the ride. Oh, and I think I actually added something that qualifies as a doodad! Stay tuned!
C3368508-D204-416B-8F0F-1B0A01F752E8.jpeg

Last edited:
It's fun when you get to the point that you are assembling the bike for the last time.

It's fun when you get to the point that you are assembling the bike for the last time.
I do most of my mocking up one part at a time, so it really is fun to see it all come together. And to be fair, I’m working with a lot of parts that either are known to work together or I’ve used on my other bikes in the past. But this was a whirlwind. 75% of the work was done in a week!

Doodad? Maybe my only one. What you’re looking at is the backside of the RRB license plate, and a custom little bracket I made to mount it in an existing hole in the fender. The primed side just got some fading with scotch brite. Trying to find the time to go get some proper final shots and detail shots, then I can post a few of the photos from my event, too.
02E1FEA0-FE18-404A-A0DC-DFFE0E2AFD43.jpeg
E708506F-CD6F-4F2F-98EC-6C2AFA44B80F.jpeg

Work has really thrown some curve balls my way lately. Still trying to find the time for a proper photo shoot for the final shots. Pretty sad since the bike has been done for about six weeks. Hopefully Sunday night...

Latest posts

Back