Geisha Gang's Street Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While walking home after a few drinks, I stumbled upon an obviously neglected Kelsgau (Old German Brand) city bike, which was missing a rear wheel, saddle and covered in rust. I decided to bring her home and turn her into a side project, while I wait for some parts for my main build (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/geisha-gang-cruiser.107404/).

IMG_20180917_014625.jpg

I'm thinking of turning her into a cross-breed Muscle/Town bicycle, meaning springer fork, banana seat, with some racks to go shopping in style. Anyone have any ideas?

So here's my progress so far, but as I used another find as a donor, she's looking like a Frankenbike at the moment.

IMG_20180918_124514.jpg

The front wheel is a 28", rear is 26" (I think) and all the parts are mixed,

IMG_20180918_124534.jpg

but this is what I'm kind of going for. So far, I've spent ZERO EUROS:113: on this little side project...well, I guess if I include the Springer, which I've had for a while, then 80€. I'm considering buying a pair of 144 spoke 26ers (https://classic-cycle.com/all/1188/144-spokes-26-inch.-fan-wheel-set-chrome?c=369) and throwing those one, but she would then be a single speed machine. The fenders I still have to polish up, and there's the matter of the rear. I'd like a banana saddle :banana:, but I'm not sure if it'll make her look weird or not :39:. Any tips?

Last edited:
i've always love the lines of those mixte frames, like a geometrical figure waiting for it's last side... the rider completes it.

If you go with banana seat you will need some Stingray style apes too! :nod:

I know....I don't know what to do. On one hand, I'm really digging the sleek, narrow handlebar look, but she would probably look just as cool with the muscle bike make-over. Keeping it the way it is would keep the costs down, which means more money for my main build!

Last edited:
i've always love the lines of those mixte frames, like a geometrical figure waiting for it's last side... the rider completes it.

I also really like the straight geometry. That's why I'm stuck on whether to add a banana seat and sting ray handlebars or stick with the sleek look...:39:

So I'm thinking of naming this build ダサい芸者, which should translate to Unfashionable Geisha. If there are any Japanese speakers on RRB and I just wrote something offensive, please correct me:)

So after some thought, I'm going to stay with the sleek look and forget about the banana/apehanger combo. I just ordered some wheels that are both the same size and make, so she'll have at least a little unity. After the wheels come in, I'll throw on some tires, bring her to my LBS (http://www.gutenbiken.com) to get a new BB, Chainring, Cranks & Chain. Then it'll just be setting up the front brake and touching her up. So far, this build has cost me 180 Euros, so I try to plan on keeping her below 250, if at all possible.

So... Here's my bike at the moment.

IMG_20180928_143834.jpg

I just threw two new wheels on her, but since the bottom bracket is stuck in there, and I don't have the space nor tools, I dropped her off at my LBS to have them take care of it. They'll also throw on some 140mm cranks on for me and get the axle length right, since I'm going with 26ers on a 28 frame, but I think she still looks good! Hopefully they'll be done next week, and I can finish off the rest (gearing, brakes, etc).

Last edited:
I like the longer wheelbase with that springer. And what a lovely color.

Thanks! Yeah, I also really dig the bent springer, though I've heard it's very hard to ride and control. I'm actually building this one as a test for my main build, that I'll be doing over the winter. I'm testing the rideability of the springer as well as the 3 speed setup, to see if it suits me. This bike will, however be my main errand bike.
Glad you like the color. That's what caught my eye in the first place.

Last edited:
So, just a little update on my little side project. Bike shop texted me to let me know everything (BB, etc) is in order and I can pick her up tomorrow! I hope to pick up a nice U-Brake from the local BMX shop and then set up the gearing and brake, then she'll pretty much be completed, with the exception of touch-up work. I'll try to upload some pics of her tomorrow.

Thanks! Yeah, I also really dig the bent springer, though I've heard it's very hard to ride and control. I'm actually building this one as a test for my main build, that I'll be doing over the winter. I'm testing the rideability of the springer as well as the 3 speed setup, to see if it suits me. This bike will, however be my main errand bike.
Glad you like the color. That's what caught my eye in the first place.

Those lowrider forks are trippy to ride on. The rake and trail are out of whack and you end up steering the bike more than leaning it. I've also found the springs are extremely soft so there's a lot of give. What I did on an old project of mine was remove the spring and cut a piece of pipe to a certain length and created a strut. You could cut a variety of lengths to change your bike's height - as long as the bolt still fits.

Those lowrider forks are trippy to ride on. The rake and trail are out of whack and you end up steering the bike more than leaning it. I've also found the springs are extremely soft so there's a lot of give. What I did on an old project of mine was remove the spring and cut a piece of pipe to a certain length and created a strut. You could cut a variety of lengths to change your bike's height - as long as the bolt still fits.

Yeah, they sure are a trip to ride :grin: but after adjusting the spring and making sure all of the bolts are nice and tight, she's controls MUCH better than when I first took her home from the shop :blackeye: I can now ride a lot faster, without wobble, unless I go down a hill really fast or something. I'm wondering if my handlebars are too narrow, though. I'd think if I had wider bars, I'd be able to control her better...

Anyway, tomorrow, I'll be taking her to work (14km, one way) for the ultimate test ride! I'll pick up some front brakes at the local BMX shop, so that I'll abiding by the German law (two brakes a must). I'm stopping by a BMX shop, cause' I want U Brakes, since they're low profile and not ugly like V Brakes.

I am curious if You could just use a spring from a rear shock suspension from a cheap fully.
And yes, wider bars will give You more leverage, but You could also play with the stem length.
I must admit it took me ages to find the right combo of different seats and seat positions, bars type and length, fork lengths, stem direction, height and length that worked for me, while inevitably everything revolved around the bottom bracket.
In the end it turned out the most pleasing to the eye postion was not the most comfortable for riding.

I recently gave my old Mad Max looking beach cruiser to a homie at work. In the garage, I have a pink women's beach cruiser and I am planning on reworking it. I am thinking of throwing on a springer front end, IDK if it'll be lowrider forks or not.

Test ride complete! Her she is, in all her 90% complete glory:

IMG_20181006_174150.jpg

She's actually a lot of fun to ride, with the exception of the horrible saddle and though cool looking, uncomfortable grips. I still have to throw some brakes on the front and adjust a few things, but she's pretty much complete.

IMG_20181006_174200.jpg

Corning can be a DANGEROUS affair, if not mindful. I have 140mm cranks on her, and it's a close call. To think I wanted 165mm :whew:

IMG_20181006_174214.jpg

Grips look classy, but are very, Very unfortable to ride on, even with padded gloves. Should I tape up the bars, or use different grips?

Let me know what you all think and what I should adjust/fix. I wanted to throw a front rack on, but that might throw off the front even more.

Latest posts

Back