Springer fork for Klunker?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've ever seen a klunker build using a springer. Is there a reason for that, or is it just not "traditional"? Seems like a springer would give a way better off-road ride. I have an original Schwinn piece that seems pretty heavy-duty - way more solid than the newer aftermarket/replacement pieces - and it sure sounds like a perfect piece to add to my new klunker build. Is there some reason I shouldn't??? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

klunkers1977.jpg
The original klunkers from the 1970s sometimes had a cantilever springer or rat trap fork. I have some pics of that somewhere.
Springer forks usually slow the steering responsiveness and it's tough to install a front brake.

Last edited:
- and it sure sounds like a perfect piece to add to my new klunker build.
I can't tell you any historical reason without guessing, but unless you are planning some serious downhill speed 'klunking' I see no reason not to use it if you like it!

IF... I were banging thru the woods on a period correct clunker I wouldn't use anything but a solid Schwinn blade. But I'm there with The Ren Man, build what YOU like bro.

Carl.

OK, thanks guys. I can't imagine doing any heavy-duty hucking on this (I have actual mtn. bikes for that, and I'm getting too danged old for anything too radical these days, anyway! :happy: ), so I'm not too worried about the spring doing anything extreme, other than maybe evening out the bumps a bit. I've just always wanted to do a klunker/bomber build after seeing so many nice ones here, and I finally just got a '50 DX frame to play with, and am looking at the parts I have lying around. A "suspension" front end seemed like a perfect match for an off-road based bike.
Thanks for clearing things up for me! :thumbsup:

IMO, any vintage springer design (Schwinn, Monark, whatever) + off-road use is a recipe for disaster.

Now, if it’s staying on paved roads, and the springer is for esthetics/style, then it’s a strandie and ride on!

IF off-road is the desire, either go with a vintage blade (maybe reinforced with truss rods) or mix in a little model flavor and get a proper suspension fork.

Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back